Professor Hussam Jouhara
Professor/Department Director for Research
Howell Building 110
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 267805
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
Having worked in academia and the industry, Hussam has unique expertise in working on applied heat exchangers and energy-related research activities with direct support from research councils and various UK and international industrial partners. He has extensive expertise in designing and manufacturing various types of heat exchangers, including heat pipes and heat pipe-based heat exchangers for low, medium and high temperature applications. His work in the field of heat pipe based heat exchangers resulted in novel designs for recouperators, steam generators & condensers and flat heat pipes. These have been implemented across various industries including, but not limited to: food, electronics thermal management and low to high industrial waste heat recovery and Energy from Waste. Over the last few years, he has successfully managed to achieve new designs for industrial waste heat recovery and many thermal systems that have enhanced the performance of various industrials processes in the UK, Europe and world-wide. He is also an elected member of the Senate of Brunel University London.
Throughout his academic and industrial career, he received over £12.2M research funding from various UK/EU based research councils (RCUK & EU H2020) and from British and European industrial partners. He is a published author of academic books with many filed patents in areas related to heat pipes engineering and manufacturing and Energy from Waste systems. He is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of both Engineers Ireland (Ireland) and IMechE (UK).
Hussam is the founder and the Head of the Heat Pipe and Thermal Management Research Group in Brunel University London.
Major projects as a Principal Investigator in Brunel:
- Technical Director of: Innovative WAter recoverY Solutions (iWAYS) - H2020
- Technical Coordinator of: Heat Pipe Technologies for Industrial Applications (ETEKINA) - H2020
- Technical Coordinator of: Prefabrication, Recyclability and Modularity for cost reductions in Smart BIPV systems (PVADAPT) - H2020
- Climate and cultural based design and market valuable technology solutions for Plus Energy Houses. (CULTRAL-E) - H2020
- Innovative Polymer-Based Composite Systems for High-Efficient Energy Scavenging And Storage (InComEss) - H2020
- Design for Resource and Energy efficiency in cerAMic kilns (DREAM) - H2020
- STEP – Heat Pipe Design Challenge for Hot Plasma Cooling - UKAEA
- High-Power and High-Energy Battery Systems with Integrated Structural Thermal Management for Heavy-Duty Applications - Innovate UK
- Roadmap for Industry - Academia collaboration between Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, Argos Cement Company, Brunel University London and Econotherm in heat recovery in large industrial systems - Royal Academy of Engineering
- Conceptual Feasibility of a Heat Pipe as a Structural and Thermal Member in an Automotive Battery Pack Design - Innovate UK
- IMproving Power bAttery Cooling Technologies (IMPACT) - Innovate UK
- Room Temperature Passive Heat Recovery with Heat Pipe - Innovate UK
- Controllable bidirectional heat recovery device - Knowledge Transfer Network
- Erva Mate Drying - Innovate UK
- Active refrigeration shelf with thermal storage - Innovate UK
Ph. D. (Mechanical Engineering), 2004, University of Manchester, UK
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (UK): Chartered Member and Fellow (CEng, FIMechE)
- CIBSE (UK): Fellow (CEng FCIBSE)
- Engineers Ireland: Chartered Engineer and Fellow (CEng, IntPE, FIEI)
- Institute of Refrigeration (UK): Member (M.Inst.R)
- P. G. Cert. in Higher Education, 2010, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA), 2017, UK
Newest selected publications
Jouhara, H. (2021) 'Waste Heat Recovery in Process Industries'. Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH. ISSN 10: 3527348565 ISSN 13: 9783527348565
David, BR., Spencer, S., Miller, J., Almahmoud, S. and Jouhara, H. (2021) 'Comparative environmental life cycle assessment of conventional energy storage system and innovative thermal energy storage system'. International Journal of Thermofluids, 12. pp. 1 - 11. ISSN: 2666-2027 Open Access Link
Jouhara, H., Delpech, B., Bennett, R., Chauhan, A., Khordehgah, N., Serey, N. and (2021) 'Heat pipe based battery thermal management: Evaluating the potential of two novel battery pack integrations'. International Journal of Thermofluids, 12. pp. 1 - 12. ISSN: 2666-2027 Open Access Linket al.
Doraghi, Q., Khordehgah, N., Żabnieńska-Góra, A., Ahmad, L., Norman, L., Ahmad, D. and (2021) 'Investigation and computational modelling of variable teg leg geometries'. ChemEngineering, 5 (3). pp. 45 - 45.et al.
Reay, D., McGlen, R., Kew, P., Jouhara, H. and McDonough, J. (2021) 'Heat Pipes Theory, Design and Applications'. Butterworth-Heinemann. ISSN 10: 0128234644 ISSN 13: 9780128234648