Dr Ian de Vere
Head of Department (CEDPS)
Michael Sterling 257
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265270
Dr Ian de Vere is Head of Design.
He is an industrial designer whose focus is the development of curricula that responds to new patterns of professional design practice.
He joined Brunel in August 2013 from Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia where he was Program Coordinator of Industrial Design and Product Design Engineering.
Ian has a Bachelor of Industrial Design and a BAppSci in Environmental Design from the University of Canberra, and a Diploma of Sustainability and PhD (in engineering education) from Swinburne University of Technology. He is an award winning designer with extensive industry experience in new product development (including biomedical, electronic, and consumer products and industrial equipment), design for the public domain, commercial furniture design and educational museum design for children.
He has been involved in design education since 2002, having also taught at University of Technology, Sydney, University of Canberra, Monash University in Melbourne, Limkokwing University of Creative Technology in Malaysia, and the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow. Coming into academia with a proven track record in commercial design practice, Ian combines a passion for design with a commitment to developing industry-relevant graduate attributes with an emphasis on creativity and innovation, user-centred design, ethical and sustainable practice, technical expertise and design entrepreneurship. He is conscious of not only limiting the impact of our professional activities on both environment and society, but also developing the capacity for designers and engineers to contribute positively to global communities through socially responsible and appropriate design.
- Design Institute of Australia (DIA) Design Education Practice Group (Victoria) – inaugural member
- Industrial Design Educators Network (IDEN) – founding member
- International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED) – member of International Review Committee (since 2009) and session chair
- International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE) – member of Scientific Review Committee (since 2008) and annual session chair
- European Journal of Engineering Education - international reviewer (since 2010)
- Journal of Engineering Design - international reviewer (since 2009)
- Swinburne Product Design Engineering Alumni network – founding director
Design Awards (industry)
- 2002 Australian Design Award finalist (\'Mojo\' commercial seating for Sebel Furniture)
- 1997 Australian Design Mark (for Banksia SP56k \'Wave\' modem)
- 1992 Australian Design Award (for the range of Haan domestic electric heaters)
- 2011 Swinburne Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Internationalisation
awarded in recognition of the internationalisation of the Product Design Engineering curriculum (including global collaborative curricula, implementation of international student mobility programs and engagement with international agencies).
- 2011 ICED11 Reviewers’ Favourite Award
awarded for a paper rated in the top 5% of papers (based on reviewers scores) at the International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED11), Technical University of Denmark.
- 2010 Swinburne Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Sustainability
awarded in recognition of the successful integration of sustainability and socially responsible design concepts and practices into Industrial Design and Product Design Engineering curricula.
- 2009 Erasmus Mundus Academic Fellowship
EU scholarship enabling teaching and research at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow (including contribution to the MSc. Global Innovation Management program)
- 2008 Swinburne Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Community Engagement
awarded for developing a socially responsible design teaching initiative which engages students in live humanitarian aid projects, through collaboration with World Vision.
- 2008 Best Presentation Prize at the E&PDE conference, “New Perspectives in Design Education” at UniversitatPolitecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2011 Keynote and guest lecturer/tutor, TungHai University, Taichung City, Taiwan. Sustainability Workshop “Symbiotic environment-human product design”
- 2010 External Assessor, final year Industrial Design projects, University of New South Wales
- 2009 Guest Tutor, University of Malta, Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
- 2009 Visiting Lecturer (Erasmus Mundus fellow), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
- 2009 Guest Lecturer/Tutor, Limkokwing University of Creative Technology, Malaysia. Furniture Design workshop
- 2009 Guest Juror at the BraunPrize forum, Knonberg, Germany
- 2008 Guest Lecturer/Tutor, Limkokwing University of Creative Technology, Malaysia. Furniture Design workshop
- 2007 Keynote presentation to Victorian Woodworking Association, Melbourne. “Furniture Design Education”
- 2007 Presentation at the Professional Learning Projects, Placements, Predicaments Showcase, Melbourne -“Professional projects in an interdisciplinary program: design and engineering”
- 2006 Guest Lecturer/Tutor, Limkokwing University of Creative Technology, Malaysia. Industrial design workshop
- 2013 Design Education – Growing Our Future. The 15th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE2013), Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland
- 2012 Design education for future wellbeing. The 14th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE2012).Artesis University College Antwerp, Belgium
- 2011 New Directions in Engineering Education, International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED11, Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 2010 When Design Education and Design Research Meet, the 12th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE10), Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway
- 2010 The 2nd ConnectED International Conference on Design Education, Sydney,Australia
- 2009 Creating a Better World, the 11th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE09), University of Brighton, UK
- 2008 New Perspectives in Design Education, the 10th Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE08) Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
- 2010 – 2011: new Swinburne Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design) program
- 2009 – 2010: new Swinburne Master of Design (Industrial Design) curricula
- 2008: Swinburne Product Design Engineering - external reaccreditation Engineers Australia
- 2005: revision to Product Design Engineering program - internal reaccreditation
Design Industry employment
- 1998-2002: Commercial furniture design, Sebel Furniture, Sydney
- 1998-2000: Interactive design / educational museum design for children, Melbourne Museum
- 1998: Point of Sale Merchandising design, consultant to Advantage Line, Sydney
- 1997-1998: Retail furniture and display design, consultant to Centre Stage Expo, Sydney
- 1996-1997: Interaction design, Powerhouse Science and Design Museum, Sydney
- 1995-1996: Design consultant to Banksia Electronics, Machine Art and Australian Technology Park,
- 1994-1995: Electronic and consumer product design, D3 Product Design, Sydney
- 1994: Transport design, consumer product and infrastructure design, Design Resource, Sydney
- 1990-1994: Medical, product, and interior design, Christopher Collins & Associates, Melbourne
- 1989-1990: Special effects, exhibition design, and industrial equipment, Design Count, Melbourne
Newest selected publications
Ceschin, F., Rakowski, R. and de Vere, I. (2017) 'The Influence Of Work Placement On The Academic Achievement Of Undergraduate Design Students'. Design Journal, 20 (2). pp. 259 - 278. ISSN: 1756-3062 Open Access Link
de Vere, I. and Phillips, R. (2015) 'Using Social Engagement to Inspire Design Learning'.Great Expectations: Design Teaching, Research & Enterprise, the 17th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education. Loughborough University, Design School, Loughborough, UK. Design Society and the Institute of Engineering Designers. pp. 304 - 309.Open Access Link
de Vere, I. (2014) 'A new consumerism: the influence of social technologies on product design'.INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ENGINEERING AND PRODUCT DESIGN EDUCATION. UNIVERSITY OF TWENTE, THE NETHERLANDS. Design Society and the Institute of Engineering Designers. pp. 530 - 536.Open Access Link
de Vere, I. (2013) 'Industrial Design 2.0: A Renaissance'.15th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (E&PDE2013), Design Education - Growing Our Future. Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland. The Design Society, Institution of Engineering Designers. pp. 824 - 829.
de Vere, I. and Melles, G. (2012) 'Integrating ‘Designerly’ Ways with Engineering Science: A Catalyst for Change within Product Design and Development', in Information Resources Management Association. (ed.) Industrial Engineering: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. Business Science References, IGI Global,. pp. 56 - 78. ISBN 10: 1466619457. ISBN 13: 9781466619456.