Dr Katherine Cashell
Howell Building 247
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 266400
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
- Institute of Materials and Manufacturing
- Structural Integrity
Katherine Cashell is a Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Brunel University.
Dr Cashell is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and a Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE), the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) and Engineers Ireland (MIEI). She is engaged in teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate level and research in steel and composite structures. Her principal research interests lie in the area of structural testing, numerical modelling and the development of efficient design guidance for steel and composite structures. In particular, she has developed an expertise in the analysis of structural response during extreme loading conditions, such as a fire. She is also actively engaged in researching the use of novel materials such as stainless steel and high strength steel in building structures.
Dr Cashell is actively involved in the Institution of Civil Engineers and Engineers Ireland. She is the past Chair of the Great Britain region of Engineers Ireland.
- Senior structural engineer at the Steel Construction Institute (SCI), Ascot, UK. August 2010 – August 2012.
- Structural engineer at High Point Rendel (HPR), London, UK. October 2009-August 2010.
- Research Assistant at Imperial College London, UK. January 2006-January 2009.
- PhD in Advanced Structural Engineering, Imperial College London, University of London, 2009
- Diploma of Imperial College (DIC), 2009
- MEngSc (Research) in Civil Engineering, University College Dublin (UCD), Ireland, 2006
- BEng (Hons) in Civil and Environmental Engineering, First Class, University College Cork (UCC), Ireland, 2004
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE)
- Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE)
- Member of Engineers Ireland (MIEI)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Full member of the EPSRC College
- Evaluator for the EU Horizon 2020 and Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action programmes
Newest selected publications
Al-Dujele, R., Cashell, KA. and Afshan, S. (2018) 'Flexural behaviour of concrete filled tubular flange girders'. Journal of Constructional Steel Research. ISSN: 0143-974X Open Access Link
Khan, MA., Jiang, L., Cashell, KA. and Usmani, A. (2018) 'Analysis of restrained composite beams exposed to fire using a hybrid simulation approach'. Engineering Structures, 172. pp. 956 - 966. ISSN: 0141-0296 Open Access Link
Shamass, R. and Cashell, KA. (2018) 'Analysis of stainless steel-concrete composite beams'. Journal of Constructional Steel Research. ISSN: 0143-974X
Earij, A., Alfano, G., Cashell, K. and Zhou, X. (2017) 'Nonlinear three–dimensional finite–element modelling of reinforced–concrete beams: Computational challenges and experimental validation'. Engineering Failure Analysis, 82. pp. 92 - 115. ISSN: 1350-6307 Open Access Link
Shamass, R. and Cashell, KA. (2017) 'Behaviour of Composite Beams Made Using High Strength Steel'. Structures, 12. pp. 88 - 101. ISSN: 2352-0124