Dr Katherine Cashell
Howell Building 247
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 266400
Katherine Cashell is a Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Brunel University.
Dr Cashell is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and a Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE), the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) and Engineers Ireland (MIEI). She is engaged in teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate level and research in steel and composite structures. Her principal research interests lie in the area of structural testing, numerical modelling and the development of efficient design guidance for steel and composite structures. In particular, she has developed an expertise in the analysis of structural response during extreme loading conditions, such as a fire. She is also actively engaged in researching the use of novel materials such as stainless steel and high strength steel in building structures.
Dr Cashell is actively involved in the Institution of Civil Engineers and Engineers Ireland. She is the past Chair of the Great Britain region of Engineers Ireland.
- Senior structural engineer at the Steel Construction Institute (SCI), Ascot, UK. August 2010 – August 2012.
- Structural engineer at High Point Rendel (HPR), London, UK. October 2009-August 2010.
- Research Assistant at Imperial College London, UK. January 2006-January 2009.
- PhD in Advanced Structural Engineering, Imperial College London, University of London, 2009
- Diploma of Imperial College (DIC), 2009
- MEngSc (Research) in Civil Engineering, University College Dublin (UCD), Ireland, 2006
- BEng (Hons) in Civil and Environmental Engineering, First Class, University College Cork (UCC), Ireland, 2004
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE)
- Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE)
- Member of Engineers Ireland (MIEI)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Full member of the EPSRC College
- Evaluator for the EU Horizon 2020 and Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action programmes
Newest selected publications
Earij, A., Alfano, G., Cashell, K. and Zhou, X. (2017) 'Nonlinear three–dimensional finite–element modelling of reinforced–concrete beams: Computational challenges and experimental validation'. Engineering Failure Analysis, 82. pp. 92 - 115. ISSN: 1350-6307 Open Access Link
Shamass, R. and Cashell, KA. (2017) 'Behaviour of Composite Beams Made Using High Strength Steel'. Structures, 12. pp. 88 - 101.
Winful, D., Cashell, K., Afshan, S., Barnes, AM. and Pargeter, RJ. (Accepted) 'Elevated temperature material behaviour of high strength steel'. Proceedings of the ICE - Structures and Buildings. ISSN: 1751-7702 Open Access Link
Abdallah, S., Fan, M. and Cashell, KA. (2017) 'Bond-slip behaviour of steel fibres in concrete after exposure to elevated temperatures'. Construction & Building Materials, 140.Open Access Link
Abdallah, S., Fan, M. and Cashell, KA. (2017) 'Pull-out behaviour of straight and hooked-end steel fibres under elevated temperatures'. Cement and Concrete Research, 95. ISSN: 0008-8846 Open Access Link