Dr Luigi Margiotta-Casaluci
Lecturer in Biomedical Sciences
Luigi is a Lecturer in Pharmacology and Toxicology, and Group Leader in the Department of Life Sciences, Centre of Inflammation Research and Translational Medicine. He is specialised in the quantitative bi-directional extrapolation of complex biological processes between zebrafish, pre-clinical mammalian species, and humans. His research focuses on understanding the multi-scale effects of pharmaceuticals, alone and in combination, and developing predictive models able to support drug safety assessment.
In parallel with the drug safety research, Luigi is also interested in understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying specific behavioural phenotypes. The Margiotta-Casaluci Lab is currently using the zebrafish model to study the effects of chronic inflammation on brain and behaviour. This research aims at generating novel mechanistic understanding that can potentially support the identification of more effective therapeutic strategies for patients affected by behavioural disorders. Since starting his independent group in 2015, Luigi secured external research funding as Principal Investigator from several public research councils (e.g. BBSRC, NC3Rs, European Commission) as well as industrial partners (e.g. AstraZeneca). His current research includes the following projects:
- (2017-2021; BBSRC/AstraZeneca): Understanding molecular and phenotypic effects of cyclo-oxygenase inhibition in the zebrafish model.
- (2017-2018; NC3Rs): Development of an Adverse Outcome Pathway for cardiotoxicity mediated by the blockade of L-type calcium channels.
- (2018-2021; Brunel Isambard Award): Understanding the effects of chronic inflammation on brain and behaviour.
- (2019-2022; H2020 European Commission): GOLIATH: Generation of novel, integrated and internationally harmonised approaches for testing chemical-induced metabolic disruption.
- 2020-to date: Group Leader & Lecturer, Pharmacology & Toxicology, College of Health and Life Sciences, Brunel University London, UK
- 2018-2020: Group Leader & Research Fellow II, Comparative Pharmacology & Toxicology, College of Health and Life Sciences, Brunel University London, UK
- 2015-2018: Group Leader & Research Fellow, Comparative Pharmacology & Toxicology, College of Health and Life Sciences, Brunel University London, UK
- 2011-2013: Visiting Scientist, AstraZeneca, UK
- 2011-2015: Post-doctoral Research Fellow, AstraZenenca/Brunel University London, London, UK (funded by BBSRC/AstraZeneca).
- 2007–2011: Ph.D. in Environmental Toxicology, Brunel University London, London, UK (supported by GlaxoSmithKline)
- 2003-2005: MSc Marine Biology, Universita’ Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
- 2000-2003: BSc Biological Sciences, Universita’ Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
Newest selected publications
Marmon, P., Owen, S. and Margiotta-Casaluci, L. (2020) 'Pharmacology-informed prediction of the risk posed to fish by mixtures of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in the environment'. Environment International, 146. pp. 106222 - 106222. ISSN: 0160-4120 Open Access Link
Legler, J., Zalko, D., Jourdan, F., Jacobs, M., Fromenty, B., Balaguer, P., (2020) 'The goliath project: Towards an internationally harmonised approach for testing metabolism disrupting compounds'. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 21 (10). pp. 3480 - 3480. ISSN: 1661-6596 Open Access Linket al.
Mahony, C., Ashton, RS., Birk, B., Boobis, AR., Cull, T., Daston, GP., (2020) 'New ideas for non-animal approaches to predict repeated-dose systemic toxicity: Report from an EPAA Blue Sky Workshop'. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 114. pp. 104668 - 104668. ISSN: 0273-2300 Open Access Linket al.
Rivetti, C., Allen, TEH., Brown, JB., Butler, E., Carmichael, PL., Colbourne, JK., (2019) 'Vision of a near future: Bridging the human health–environment divide. Toward an integrated strategy to understand mechanisms across species for chemical safety assessment'. Toxicology in Vitro, 62 (February 2020). pp. 1 - 9. ISSN: 0887-2333 Open Access Linket al.
Margiotta-Casaluci, L., Dusza, H., Moreira, I., Winter, MJ. and Prior, H. (2019) 'Development of an adverse outcome pathway (AOP) for cardiotoxicity mediated by the blockade of L-type calcium channels'. United States. 1 Elsevier BV. pp. 106595. ISSN: 1056-8719