I am an environmental scientist, with research focus on water quality and chemicals in the environment. I have a wider interest in sustainability and increasing the effectiveness of how society addresses environmental issues. As the co-coordinator of the EU Horizon 2020 INTCATCH project, which formally ended in Januaru 2020, I have had a great opportunity to make a difference in this area. We continue to work as a team to exploit the outcomes and undertake monitoring of water bodies with the tools developed. Our website is at http://intcatch.eu
My research has covered a range of topics, encompassing public perception of environmental management, risk in relation to exposure to chemicals and issues of sustainability related to recovery of phosphorus from wastewaters. However, the major focus has been, and remains, the fate and behaviour of chemicals. Research is predominantly laboratory based, and major topics include:
- Emerging contaminants; the evaluation of their environmental impact and approaches for controlling their discharge to the environment.
- The sources, fate and behaviour of organic micro pollutants in sediment and water.
- The fate of contaminants in wastewater treatment processes.
- Cost / benefits of increasing stringency of environmental quality standards.
- Development of analytical methods for the determination of contaminants in the environment and wastewater matrices.
- BSc Food Science, University of Leeds, 1980
- PhD University of London, 1996
- DIC Imperial College, 1996
- CChem MRSC, Chartered Chemist, Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- CBiol MIBiol, Chartered Biologist, Member of the Institute of Biology.
- MCIWEM, Member of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management
- 2005 – to date Brunel University
- 1989-2005 Imperial College London
- 1987-1989 Waters Chromatography Division, Millipore (UK) Ltd., Watford.
- 1986-1987 Department of Civil Engineering, Imperial College, London.
- 1985-1986 Coopers Animal Health Ltd, Berkhamsted.
- 1980-1985 Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food, London.
- Consultant to Ove Arup (1998-2000). EU TACIS ENVREG 9705. Environment Programme for the Danube River Basin. Vulcanesti Pesticide Dump Site Investigation, Moldova.
- Member of “SedNet” WP3 - Quality and Impact Assessment. (2002-2004). SedNet was an EU Framework 5 Thematic Network (Contract EVK1-CT-2001-20002).
- Invited academic member “Good Regulation and Competitiveness Network” (2002 - 2004). Part of the DTI funded United Kingdom Analytical Partnership (UKAP)
- Advisory Panel to the Standing Committee of Analysts (2005-2006). Methods for the Examination of Waters and Associated Materials. The determination of steroid estrogens in environmental and waste waters using chromatography and mass spectrometry
- SETAC Europe conference 2006. Co-chairing of sessions on Sediment Ecotoxicology. Resulted in output published in the Journal of Soils and Sediments (2006), 6, 116-117 and SETAC Globe (2006), 4, 9-12.
Newest selected publications
Acheampong, E., Dryden, IL., Wattis, JAD., Twycross, J., Scrimshaw, MD. and Gomes, RL. (2019) 'Modelling emerging pollutants in wastewater treatment: A Case study using the pharmaceutical 17α−ethinylestradiol'. Computers and Chemical Engineering, 128. pp. 477 - 487. ISSN: 0098-1354 Open Access Link
Scrimshaw, M. (2017) 'The effect of wastewater effluent derived ligands on copper and zinc complexation'. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24 (9). pp. 8363 - 8374. ISSN: 0944-1344 Open Access Link
Okom, S., Russell, A., Chaudhary, AJ., Scrimshaw, M. and Francis, RA. (2017) 'Impacts of projected precipitation changes on sugar beet yield in Eastern England'. Meteorological Applications, 24 (1). pp. 52 - 61. ISSN: 1469-8080 Open Access Link
Ojoghoro, JO., Chaudhary, AJ., Campo, P., Sumpter, JP. and Scrimshaw, MD. (2016) 'Progesterone potentially degrades to potent androgens in surface waters.'. The Science of the total environment, 579. pp. 1876 - 1884. ISSN: 0048-9697 Open Access Link
Constantino, C., Gardner, M., Comber, SDW., Scrimshaw, MD. and Ellor, B. (2015) 'The impact of tertiary wastewater treatment on copper and zinc complexation'. Environmental Technology (United Kingdom), 36 (22). pp. 2863 - 2871. ISSN: 0959-3330 Open Access Link