I have worked in Office Management/PA/Executive Assistant roles for over 30 years. The majority of my experience lies in the areas of science and medicine, having worked for a biopharmaceutical company, a clinical research organisation, and as PA to consultants working in the NHS (specialising in the areas of gastrointestinal and colorectal surgery, urology and vascular surgery). I have also been a multi-disciplinary team coordinator and am a qualified medical secretary (although my terminology is a bit rusty these days, due to lack of use!)
I am now in my 12th year of working in a Higher Education Institution, having previously worked at the University of West London as Office Manager and PA to the Director of Human Resources.
I joined Brunel in 2016 as the Department Administrator for the Department of Life Sciences. Now, with two assistants (Mr Anesh Mistry and Miss Chloe Johnson), we are a team which supports the Department of Life Sciences as a whole, and particularly the Head of Department and four Divisional Leads. We are a very large department, with well over 100 academics.
I am a member of the Institute of Administrative Management (MInstAM).
Due to Covid-19 and medical reasons, I will be working mostly from home, but with occasional days in the office, for the foreseeable future.
The Department Administration Team has responsibility for all non-student facing administration functions for the Department of Life Sciences, including
- Full PA suppport to Professor Alex Blakemore, Head of the Department of Life Sciences.
- Diary and administrative support to the Divisional Leads for Biosciences, Environmental Sciences, Psychology and Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences.
- HR (recruitment of all academic staff, including all aspects of the REAP approval process, advertising, shortlisting, interview panels, new staff onboarding and induction, probation reviews, promotions panel, PDR reviews, mandatory training compliance and confidential staffing matters).
- Recruitment process for all Hourly Paid Lecturers, Demonstrators and Graduate Teaching Assistants.
- Financial approval for multiple sub-projects/budget setting and management/CHIME/procurement.
- Membership of the Life Sciences Department Management Board representing the Department Administration Team.
- Organisation of annual events, including the Life Sciences graduation prizes and post-ceremony social, and the Penn State University exchange trip, amongst others.
- Any diary appointment requests for the Divisional Leads for Life Sciences (Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences [Professor Costas Karageorghis], Psychology [Dr Terry Dovey], Biosciences [Dr Elisabete Silva] and Environmental Sciences [Dr Edwin Routledge]) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previously, I was the work stream lead for staffing in the Life Sciences Expansion Project, where we recruited over 40 new academic staff to the department during an 18-month period.
If you are a student (current or former) and have a student-related query or a transcript request, it is unlikely that I will be able to assist you. In the first instance, please contact the Taught Programmes Office for your Division:
CHMLS-TPO-Biosciences@brunel.ac.uk (includes Environmental Sciences requests)