Skip to main content

FAQs for incoming students

What modules will I study at Brunel University London?

As an international student at Brunel, you will undertake course modules that will match your learning needs in relation to the degree course you are studying at your ‘home’ institution. These modules are stipulated as part of the Learning Agreement which is developed between yourself, your ‘home’ institution and Brunel University.

Module selection occurs as part of the enrolment process. You should prepare your Learning Agreement with a provisional choice of modules before arriving at Brunel. We offer a wide range of modules in areas such as international politics, comparative politics, American politics, British politics, political theory, political science methods or public policy. Please note that we cannot guarantee that your first choice of modules will be available and therefore we recommend that you have some reserve choices in case some of them are no longer available when you arrive.

What is the Learning Agreement?

The Learning Agreement is a document that outlines which modules you are applying to take at Brunel University as part of the exchange programme (Erasmus and non-Erasmus). With your Institute Coordinator, you will need to fill in your Learning Agreement, providing details of the modules you wish to undertake. This document must be stamped and signed by your institution and should be submitted along with your online admissions form in advance of your study period. Your Learning Agreement will be reviewed and revised, if necessary. On arrival at Brunel University it will be finalised and formalised within one month of your enrolement or as soon as possible thereafter.

How many ECTS credits will I get (Erasmus programmes)?

Each module (one year long) is worth 20 credits in the Department of Social and Political History. You will take 120 credits in your year abroad. If you only come for one term, you will get 10 credits for every module you take – a total of 60 credits.

For Erasmus students: Two Brunel University credits are worth one ECTS. So, one Brunel University 20-credit module is worth 10 ECTS.

How long can I spend at Brunel University London?

Students can spend either term one or the full year at Brunel University in the framework of the agreed arrangements between universities. The length of the exchange will vary according to your home department or university. For more information, you should contact the Erasmus Coordinator at your home institution.

What are the term dates?

  • Term 1: 14 September - 18 December 2020
  • Term 2: 11 January - 26 March 2021
  • Term 3: 19 April - 2 July 2021
  • Term 4: 5 July - 17 September 2021.

How will I be assessed?

Brunel University London students are mainly assessed on their performance in formal coursework and/or examinations. An international student who attends for the entire academic year would normally take same assessment as all other students. For those who only attend for one term, we can provide a report on the student's participation in classes, and any marks awarded for coursework/examinations.

Will I have a personal tutor at Brunel university London?

Yes, you will have a tutor to act as your personal academic advisor for the duration of your stay. Your tutor will advise on your choice of modules, and will receive reports on your progress. Your tutor will also be available to advise on academic or personal matters, and can help you locate the relevant professional service either in the School or University.

Is there a specific induction for interational students?

A meeting for international students will be held during the induction week. This induction will give you the opportunity to meet colleagues from the academic department as well as other international students studying at Brunel University London. Further information will be provided closer to enrolment.