PhD research student applications are welcomed by the IMS Research Group all year round. Research students are valued members of our thriving, research-intensive team. We are particularly interested in supervising students' research in any of the broad range of topics listed above. Please note that the topic list is not exhaustive, so feel free to contact a member of IMS with your ideas.
Some candidate PhD topics that group members are interested in supervising in the future may include, but are not limited to:
- Delivering Student Centred Learning via Collaborative Digital Game-based applications.
- Robot-Human Interaction
- Virtual and mediated realities in Health care
- Depth sensing technologies for automated falls prevention interventions and assistive equipment prescription.
- 3D visualisation technologies to support clinicians and patients in carrying out falls prevention interventions
- Physiological response based video summarisation
- Multisensorial media-cues in e-learning.
- Designing Web Content for Enhanced User Experience on an Internet-Connected Television Device
- Olfactory-Enhanced Multimedia: A User’s Perspective
- Self-beliefs in the Introductory Programming Lab and Game-based Fantasy Role Play
- Improving patient education of falls risks via intelligent ‘human-like’ 3D gaming applications.
- Sensor-based video summarisation
- Delivering Student-Centred Learning education via intelligent gaming applications.
- Exploring the value of intelligent robot-based assessments compared with traditional human-based assessment methods in higher education.
See below a list of available PhD projects in Computer Science that includes projects in our area:
Mapping Software Systems based on Domains
This project is based on inter-disciplinary research: on the one hand, it is a Computer Science project, where a good understanding of software programming is needed. On the other hand, it is a Biolog...
Optimisation methods for (deep) neural networks
A machine learning algorithm can be viewed as a mapping between inputs and outputs, with the scope of optimising and tuning the parameters that describe it so that the performance is improved. The los...
Autonomous 5G Networks
5G Networks are expected to support many use cases ranging from autonomous vehicles, e-health, industry 4.0, entertainment, transport, smart cities etc. which will place a wide range of technical requ...