Brunel Innovation Centre (BIC)
The Brunel Innovation Centre (BIC) is a world class research and technology centre that sits between the knowledge base and industry offering high quality research in an innovative environment focused on non-destructive testing, condition and structural health monitoring, power ultrasonics and allied technologies covering a range of materials, sensors, electronics and software systems supporting partners in industry to transfer academic research into industrial application.
BIC pursues initiatives that span national and international platforms including Innovate UK, EPSRC and EC. The Centre has been building a strong portfolio of projects in line with its multinational interdisciplinary vision.
- State-of-the-art power ultrasonic systems for inspection and cleaning
- Smart non-destructive testing
- Condition and structural health monitoring
- Advanced signal and image processing algorithms including machine learning
- Numerical modelling and fluid structure interaction
- Novel and robust sensing for harsh environment (e.g high temp transducers up to 600 °C)
- Digital twin technology
- IoT and data analytics
The principal mission of BIC is to establish a world class research centre offering high quality research in an innovative environment. We aim to attract outstanding students and focus on acoustic wave and allied technologies covering a range of materials, sensors, electronics and software systems.
BIC operates with the aim of developing a financially sustainable research facility, drawing on Brunel University's existing strengths, to complement and underpin the applied research and development activities of TWI.
- Create a shared research and technology facility
- Undertake joint research programmes
- Secure a portfolio of research funding from external sponsors
- Build a mutual understanding of future research challenges and opportunities develop the next generation of technologies and engineers
Summary of projects