Cloud-based Simulation platform for Manufacturing and Engineering (CloudSME)
Simulation is a decision support technique used in manufacturing and engineering. Simulation experimentation needs to run a model hundreds or thousands of times and can take a very long time. Cloud computing has the potential for low cost high performance computing that can be used to speed up experimentation. Developing cloud-based software can be expensive for Small-to-Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
The challenge of CloudSME was to produce a platform that could significantly reduce the cost of cloud-based software development. The project developed the CloudSME Simulation Platform that has been used by over 30 European SMEs to produce new high performance cloud-based simulation software. The spinoff company CloudSME UG carries on the work supported by Professor Taylor and Dr Anagnostou.
- Professor Tamas Kiss (University of Westminster, Project Lead)
- MTA STZAKI (Hungary)
- Scaletools AG (Switzerland)
- Universidad de Zaragoza (Spain)
- CloudBroker GmbH (Switzerland) and over 20 simulation and cloud European SMEs.
Impact video by Hobsons Brewery and Company Limited
Impact video by Podoactiva SL
Taylor, S.J.E., Anagnostou, A., Kiss, T., Terstyanszky, G., Kacsuk, P. and Fantini, N. (2014) “A Tutorial on Cloud Computing for Agent-based Modeling & Simulation with Repast.” In Proceedings of the 2014 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC14), Edited by A. Tolk, S. Y. Diallo, I. O. Ryzhov, L. Yilmaz, S. Buckley, and J. A. Miller, Invited, pp. 192-206, Savannah, GA, December 7-10. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7019888
Taylor, S.J.E., Anagnostou, A., Kiss, T., Terstyanszky, G., Visti, H., Farkas, Z., Kacsuk, P., Sereda, A. and Fantini, N. (2018). The CloudSME simulation platform and its applications: A generic multi-cloud platform for developing and executing commercial cloud-based simulations. Future Generation Computer Systems. 88:524-539. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2018.06.006
Taylor, S.J.E. Distributed Simulation: State-of-the-Art and Potential for Operational Research. (2019). European Journal of Operational Research. 273(1):1-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2018.04.032
- Taylor, S.J.E., Anagnostou, A., Kiss, T., Terstyanszky, G., Kacsuk, P., Fantini, N., Lakehal, D. and Costes, J. (2019). Enabling Cloud-based Computational Fluid Dynamics with a Platform-as-a-Service Solution. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics. 15(1): 85-94. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2018.2849558