Coordination of Transmission and Distribution data eXchanges for renewables integration in the European marketplace through Advanced, Scalable and Secure ICT Systems and Tools
This three year project started on the 1st October 2017 and the project kick-off meeting was held at Brunel University 2nd-3rd October 2017. The project aims to design and develop novel Information and Communication Technology (ICT) tools and techniques that facilitate scalable and secure information systems and data exchange between Transmission System Operators (TSOs) and Distribution System Operators (DSOs). The three novel aspects of ICT tools and techniques to be developed in the project are: scalability – ability to deal with new users and increasingly larger volumes of information and data; security – protection against external threats and attacks; and interoperability –information exchange and communications based on existing and emerging international smart grid ICT standards.
The project focuses on TSO-DSO interoperability. While TSO-TSO interoperability is currently well established by ENTSO-E through implementation of the Common Grid Model Exchange System, TSO-DSO interoperability will also benefit future TSO-TSO interoperability. In this context, the project will also consider DSO to other Market-participants (DSOs, Aggregators, Distributed Energy Resource Operators, Micro-grid Operators) and information or data access portals that enable business processes involving relevant actors in the electrical power sector.
Beyond state-of-the-art progress that will be achieved as follows:
- Fully defined interface specifications for TSO-DSO information exchange interfaces based on Use Case analysis and IEC 61970/61968/62325 standards to support highly automated information exchange and network analysis.
- Fully defined interface specifications for information exchange between DSOs and market participants based on Use Case analysis and IEC 61850 and IEC 62325 standards to support highly automated information exchanges.
- Role-based access control that securely accommodates new data requirements and unbundling processes.
- A specified suite of ICT protocols and integration with the defined interfaces.
- Proof of Concept using field tests and demonstration with industry specification at both TSO and DSO levels.
1st October 2017 to 30th September 2020
Replicability - The results will be used by TSOs, DSOs, and Market participants to help them implement new interfaces based on IEC standards (CIM, 61850) supporting the grid codes and/or to help vendor develop products to provide ICT solutions.
Market Transformation, Socio-economics - The project will improve ENTSO-E profiles based on IEC standards: CGMES based on IEC 61970 and IEC 61968 and CIM European Style Market profile based on IEC 62325. The project will also assess Cyber Security standards which must be used in the context of information exchange between TSO/DSO/Market participants.
Policy, Environment - The impact focus will be on both regulatory aspects, such as market mechanisms, as well as processes for TSO and DSO interactions and information exchange. In addition, data information exchange on scalable, secure and standardised platforms will be developed and demonstrated at an industry level. In particular, standards from the IEC TC 57 committee will be evaluated, extended and feedback will be brought back to the market. Industry wide impact will be supported through the participation of ENTSO-E as the most prominent stakeholder.