Dr Alireza Mousavi, Reader, The Systems Engineering Research Group, CEDPS – Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Dr Mousavi will claim that we are at the brink of a new era of Manufacturing Technology. This era will transform the current approach, philosophy, and engineering to:
- Zero defect Systems, Zero Waste Manufacturing,
- Zero Breakdown machines and processes that guarantee nominal capacity and production flow of Zero Delay Production,
- Predictive Adaptive Plants working at their expected capability, efficiency, and effectiveness in an ever-changing environment,
- Plants that produce much less Green House Gas emissions, and
- Processes producing products with maximum Circularity potential.
To achieve this, we need to accumulate and link the knowledge and know-how of:
- The Fundaments of Science and Engineering originated from the first-generation industry,
- Operations and Management Science of the second generation, and
- The Automation, Robotics and Passive Adaptive Control of the 3rd generation
- To reach the Fourth generation of 21st Century Industrial Systems; attributed with Active Learning, Aggressive Prediction, Increasing Complexity, and Sustainable Systems.
It is a multiple disciplinary and highly coordinated chain of events enabled by the digital transformation of society.