Funded PhD Studentship in Business and Management
The Business School at Brunel University London is offering two fully funded PhD studentships to start in the academic year of 2022/23. The studentship is for a period of 3 years (36 months) preferably starting on 1st October 2022 or at a mutually agreed time after that. The successful applicant will receive an annual stipend which is currently £17,609 (includes London Allowance), plus payment of UK/EU tuition fees. The studentship is open to UK/EU applicants only; International applicants will not be considered for these bursaries.
Those awarded the studentship will also assume the role of General Teaching Assistant (GTA) and be required to assist in the School’s teaching up to 180 hours a year in the following subject areas:- Marketing; Information Technology; Accounts; International Business, & Human Resources.The successful applicant will be associated with one of the School’s leading research groups and conduct research in their respective areas. The School’s research groups are:
Research Proposal for the PhDs scholarship in Brunel Business School
A crucial element of the PhD application is the research proposal. We recognise that research proposals are likely to evolve and change after registration; this initial proposal is used to determine the candidate’s potential for research at doctoral level, to ensure that the proposed topic is suitable for an in-depth study and to determine the availability of academics who will supervise the research.
You should write a minimum of 3500 words (excluding references) and no more than 5000 words (excluding references), using the following layout:
- Background to the research topic and why you have chosen it.
- The specific problem/s or question/s the study will address.
- The research aims and objectives and any hypotheses or research propositions.
- Expected contribution to scholarship/knowledge (applied and/or theoretical).
- Review important literature relating to your proposed topic. Within this you should use the literature to:
- demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of the research field;
- justify the choice of research topic;
- justify the original contribution your research is likely to make, for example highlight the gap in current knowledge you intend to fill.
- What type of data (qualitative/quantitative/both), material or resources the study will use and how you will gather them.
- How you will analyse the data/material once they have been collected.
- Ethical considerations that are likely to be involved in the study.
- Justification for your choice of methodology/ies.
PLAN AND TIMETABLE
- Provide a realistic proposed work plan and timetable.
The proposal should be referenced correctly with all sources acknowledged and included in a list of references.
The studentship is awarded based on outstanding academic merit.
Candidates should have an undergraduate degree (first or upper second class) in a relevant subject. A Master’s degree is an advantage but not essential, preferably at distinction level or equivalent.
How to apply
If you wish to apply, please email the following to Dr Chima Mordi at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 25th February 2022 by 5.00pm
- Your up to date CV
- A one A4 page personal statement setting out why you are a suitable candidate (i.e. your skills and experience)
- A research proposal explaining your proposed area of research. The attached form can be used as a guide. Your proposal should be a minimum of 3500 words (excluding references) and no more than 5000 words.
- Your degree transcripts and/or certificates
- Names and contact details for two academic referees
Interviews will take place in March 2022, exact date and times to be confirmed.
Any offer will be subject to a successful application to our PhD degree programme. If you are offered a place you will need to complete an online application via the following website, meeting the University academic entry requirements and being offered a place on the course:
If you have any questions, please contact BBS PGR Programme Director: Dr Chima Mordi by email at Chima.email@example.com