Novel Design, Development and Deployment of Wide Area Monitorong Systems on a Cloud Computing Platform
The PhD student research project will investigate and develop innovative cloud computing approaches to enable a scalable and secure analysis of massive Phasor Measurement Unit data using state of the art infrastructure as a service (IaaS) technology that can be effectively deployed in order to:
- Implement novel scalable and on-demand wide-area monitoring solutions
- Design, develop and deploy the most computationally effective cloud computing software solutions
- Co-operate in designing and deploying big data analytics for interpreting information, and presenting results intuitively to end users using advanced user interface technologies
- Enable secure multiple access to wide-area monitoring systems and data.
Applicants should have a good honours degree in computer science, electronic and electrical engineering, or a closely related discipline. Ideal candidates would also have a strong personal interest in power systems and developing environmentally beneficial technology for the transmission and distribution of decarbonised electrical power.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for the above PhD topic please follow the steps below:
- Contact the supervisor by email or phone to discuss your interest and find out if you woold be suitable. Supervisor details can be found on this topic page. The supervisor will guide you in developing the topic-specific research proposal, which will form part of your application.
- Click on the 'Apply here' button on this page and you will be taken to the relevant PhD course page, where you can apply using an online application.
- Complete the online application indicating your selected supervisor and include the research proposal for the topic you have selected.
This is a self funded topic
Brunel offers a number of funding options to research students that help cover the cost of their tuition fees, contribute to living expenses or both. See more information here: https://www.brunel.ac.uk/research/Research-degrees/Research-degree-funding. The UK Government is also offering Doctoral Student Loans for eligible students, and there is some funding available through the Research Councils. Many of our international students benefit from funding provided by their governments or employers. Brunel alumni enjoy tuition fee discounts of 15%.