Exit Menu

Application FAQs

You may have questions about the admissions process and how to apply to Brunel University London. Below are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.

Can you send me a prospectus?

Can I apply directly to the University?

All applications for full-time undergraduate courses at Brunel University must be made via UCAS. This applies even if you are applying for one of our Foundation years or for entry at Level 2.

What are your entry criteria?

Each subject has varying entry criteria, therefore you should view the individual course pages for more information.

I'm not taking UK A-levels - does this matter?

We welcome applications from students who are not taking UK A-levels. Details of some of the qualifications we accept can be found on the individual course pages, although this list is not exhaustive. If you are taking a qualification that is not listed we will still consider your application, however we will require your qualification to be of a comparable standard to UK A-levels.

What are the English language requirements for applicants who don't speak English as their first language or for applicants applying for an International Tier 4 visa?

If you are applying to Brunel as an international student, you will need to submit evidence of your English ability, even if English is your native language. If English is not your first language you will need to submit evidence of your English ability. You can find out the required level of English for your course and a list of accepted qualifications on the Brunel International web pages.

Do you accept Key Skills?

Some subject areas will accept Key Skills Level 2 as an acceptable equivalence to GCSE English and/or Maths, but not all. You should check the individual course pages to see if the course you are interested in is one of these.

I am retaking my A-levels /I have taken my A-levels over three years - does this matter?

No, this will not impact our assessment of your application.

Do I need to have an AS-level or Extended Project as well as three A-levels?

No, our offers for applicants taking A-levels are based on 3 A-levels. If you have taken an extra AS-level or Extended Project and do not meet your A-level conditions this will be taken into account in summer confirmation.

I am a mature applicant - will you consider my application?

We welcome applications from mature applicants. Applications from mature applicants are considered on an individual basis, however you will normally be expected to demonstrate some academic ability. We welcome applications from mature applicants who are undertaking a relevant Access to Higher Education Diploma.

For more information see our mature students web page.

Will I be eligible for a bursary or scholarship from Brunel?

There are a number of scholarships available to applicants who meet certain eligibility requirements, and Brunel also offers bursaries to students from low-income families. Full details on the funding options available can be found on the Student Finance pages.

Do you interview?

Some courses will require an interview. You may also be asked to attend an interview if you have non-standard qualifications.

Do you have any courses that start mid-year?

Unless specified, all courses start in September only.

I’d like to apply for entry to the second year of a course. Is this possible?

Yes, it is possible to apply to second year for some courses (However year 3 applications cannot be considered). You should be close to meeting the first year entry requirements for your chosen programme (as outlined on our course pages). You must also have successfully completed year 1 of a course with similar content to the Brunel course.You will need to provide evidence of this (i.e. transcripts from your current course). Before applying via UCAS (choosing level 2 as your point of entry)  you are welcome to contact the Admissions Office to check whether a year 2 application may be considered.

Year 2 applications cannot be accepted for our Occupational Therapy BSc or Physiotherapy BSc programmes.

How do I know if you have received my application?

We will send you an email to confirm receipt of your application within one working day of it being submitted.

How long will it take for you to make a decision?

We aim to make a decision on all applications within 28 days, however this may take longer at peak times of the year (January and in the summer, June to August), if your application did not supply sufficient information, or if you are applying for a course which requires an interview.

Will I be able to apply for accommodation?

Applicants who have applied to the university can apply for accommodation but this will not be allocated until you have an unconditional offer from us. Applicants who have applied for accommodation and hold an unconditional offer and confirmed their acceptance of a place at Brunel by 1 September, will be accommodated on campus. Students who apply for accommodation after the 1 September will be allocated subject to availability.

Students who apply to the University through Clearing or Adjustment are allocated rooms after main scheme students have been accommodated, and rooms are subject to availability. Further details about accommodation can be found on the accommodation web pages.

To find out more please visit accommodation at Brunel or visit the Accommodation Services Question and Answer Centre.

Can I come to an Open Day?

Yes. We run a series of open days and campus tours to give applicants a chance to come and see what Brunel is like. If you receive an offer of a place at Brunel you will also be invited to an applicant day to give you a chance to find out more about your chosen course. Details of this will be included in the offer email we send to you.

Can I apply for deferred entry?

We welcome applications for a deferred entry for all our undergraduate courses except Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy. Please note if you receive a conditional offer you must meet all the conditions in the cycle in which you applied.

Where is Brunel and where is the nearest airport/Tube/train?

Please see the How to find Brunel page.


Transferring is where an applicant who is already studying at another University wishes to leave that institution and come to Brunel to join a programme similar to what they are already doing. The University’s policy on transferring, including students transferring out of Brunel and between Brunel programmes, can be found here.

Accreditation of prior learning (exemptions)

Applicants can be admitted with an ‘exemption’ from taking one or more of the standard parts of their Brunel programme, if they can demonstrate that they have already achieved the related learning outcomes through their prior studies or experiences, either at Brunel or elsewhere. Exemptions may be granted for Prior Certificated Learning (where you have already achieved an award certificate in a relevant area), through credit accumulation or credit transfer (for university-level module credit previously achieved), or as Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (where previous practical experience, typically in the workplace, has allowed you to demonstrably meet the learning outcomes expected). Such knowledge should normally have been gained within the last five years, and remain current.

The University’s Exemptions policy gives full details about this, with specific rules also detailed in Senate Regulations 2 (for Undergraduates) and 3 (for Postgraduates). Restrictions apply as to how much of any programme may be exempted. Applicants wishing to ask for an exemption must fill out an Exemption request form and follow the process set out in the policy, returning the form to the Admissions Office so that any exemptions can be formally agreed and recorded.

Post-offer FAQs

You may have received an offer from us but have questions about what happens next. Below are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.

How do I respond to your offer?

Respond via UCAS. Once you have received responses from all of your choices, UCAS will ask you to decide which one you want to accept as a Firm choice and which you want to accept as your Insurance choice. UCAS will provide you information on when your deadline is.

If you firmly accept a university and meet the terms of their offer, that will be the university you will go to. If you do not meet the conditions of your offer exactly of your Firm choice then they will make the decision if they do wish to accept you with the qualifications you did achieve. If your Firm choice university cannot accept you then you will then be considered by your Insurance choice, therefore, you should try to ensure when choosing universities that you could meet your insurance offer if you do not make your firm offer.

Undergraduate international students who have applied through an official agent representative can ask them to accept on their behalf.

Will I be able to apply for accommodation?

Undergraduate (non-Clearing applicants e.g. UCAS Apply 1 and UCAS Apply 2 applicants) who have applied for accommodation and hold an unconditional offer and confirmed their acceptance of a place at Brunel by 1 September, will be accommodated on campus. Students who apply for accommodation after the 1 September will be allocated subject to availability.

Students entering the University through Clearing and Adjustment should visit the Clearing and Adjustment student page or information sheet on the Accommodation Service’s website.

We recommend that students apply for accommodation as early as possible as some room types are often oversubscribed.

To find out more please visit accommodation at Brunel or visit the Accommodation Services Question and Answer Centre

I haven't received anything from Brunel but UCAS Track shows I have an offer

We send out all our communication via email, so please check the email address you gave UCAS and also check your spam/junk folders. If you still do not appear to have received our email please contact the Admissions Office, email admissions@brunel.ac.uk, telephone +44 (0)1895 265265 or tweet @BrunelAdmission, and we will resend it to you.

I am not taking the qualifications listed in my offer

Please contact the Admissions Office immediately by telephone +44 (0)1895 265265 or tweet @BrunelAdmission.

How do I let you know when I have passed my qualifications?

If you are taking A-levels in the summer, you do not need to do anything as UCAS will automatically provide us with your results.

If you are taking any other qualifications it is your responsibility to let us know the results. You should send a copy of these to us as soon as you have received them. Please ensure you send a copy of the certificate and any transcripts or mark sheets you were provided with to enable us to confirm your place. Please note if you also require a Tier 4 study visa you may have an earlier date based on UKVI processing times in your country.

I have an unconditional offer – what do I need to do now?

If you have an unconditional offer we will be in contact in due course to let you know about registration and arriving at Brunel. Typically this will be in mid-August.

In the meantime you should make sure you have arranged your accommodation and your finances.

I think I am eligible for a scholarship – how do I apply?

Applications for scholarships offered by the main university can be found on your eVision account. There is one application for all scholarships. For information about scholarships please visit the scholarship pages.

What information do I enter in the following fields of my Student Loan application?

  • Start date of the course
    You will be asked to present this information in the format MM/YY and should enter the September of the year you are joining us.
  • End date of the course
    Again, you will be asked to present this in the format MM/YY. You should enter the July of the year you are due to complete your studies.
  • The campus code
    You should leave this blank as it is not applicable to Brunel University students. If you are completing your application online and it will not permit you to leave the field blank, select A.

What will I need to bring with me when I register at the University?

You will need your passport as you cannot register without it. You will also need to bring original qualification certificates with you (if you took your A-levels this year you do not need to bring the certificates for these).

You may also need to bring other course-specific documentation - we will write to you closer to the time to confirm what you need.

I need to send my passport to Student Finance / the Home Office / somewhere else – what should I do?

If you need to send your passport somewhere and it cannot wait until after registration, you should ensure you get at least one certified copy of the passport before you send it. The copies should be certified by someone in authority such as a solicitor, notary, doctor or bank manager. Some UK post offices also offer this service.