What is the travel fund for?
Our travel fund helps to ensure all students can take part in events and activities on Brunel’s campus. Events covered by this fund include:
- Open Days
- Applicant/Experience Days
- Interview/Selection Days
- Student Shadowing Days
- Masterclasses and Taster Days
Who can apply?
This fund is for prospective students who are studying, or have studied, at a state school, college or sixth form in the UK, and who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Live in an area of low higher education participation (POLAR 4, quintile 1 or 2). This can be checked by visiting the Office for Students website, inputting your postcode and looking to see if the quintile for POLAR 4 is quintile 1 or 2
- Have received free school meals or Pupil Premium funding
- Have a disability
- Are a looked after child/have been in the care of the local authority
- Are a young carer
- Are estranged from your family
- Are a young person from a military family
- Are a refugee
- Are from a Gypsy, Roma or Traveller community
- Are a mature student who will be studying for their first degree aged 21 or over
We recognise that for events such as open days, applicant/experience days and interview/selection days, you may wish to bring a guest with you. The fund can be used to cover the cost of travel for yourself plus one guest (such as a parent, carer, guardian, partner or friend).
If travelling by train, please book in advance where possible to take advantage of cheaper rates. Travel should be standard/economy class.
If travelling by car, mileage will be paid at 45p per mile.
How do I apply?
Please complete the non-staff expenses claim form with your personal details, list the travel costs incurred and provide a receipt/s. Once we have received the form, we will complete the details of the financial codes. Please also complete and sign the cover sheet.
If you’re unable to print these in advance, both documents will be available in hard copy when you visit.
Ask at the check-in desk in our Indoor Athletics Centre. Completed forms should also be handed in here
Ask at the check-in desk in our Eastern Gateway Building. Completed forms should also be handed in here.
All other events
Please complete the claim form and cover sheet and hand to the event organiser clearly marked for the attention of Emily Archer.
Alternatively please post your completed forms to Emily Archer, Widening Access Manager, Wilfred Brown 025, Brunel University London, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH within 30 days of the event.
If you’re unable to cover the cost of travel upfront, please contact us to discuss this further on 01895 266880 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.