Robin Howell (1923-1973) gained a 1st in Electrical Engineering from Queen Mary College, London in 1950 and a PhD in 1953 for a study of reactance modulation and the associated oscillators.
After war-time service in the Fleet Air Arm and a period with Decca Radar Limited, Professor Howell joined the staff of Brunel College in 1958 as Head of Electronics. When Brunel College was designated a University in 1964, he was appointed Professor and Head of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics.
Howell was also a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical Engineers. Through the Engineering Industry Training Board he played an important part in helping to develop a policy for the training of technologists in industry. He was also associated with the Science Research Council and a member of the Academic Board of the Regional Advisory Council.