For over 45 years students from throughout the UK and over 100 countries have made Brunel Law School their first choice for its outstanding reputation as a respected London law school.
The School offers a vibrant, friendly and supportive academic community where students transform an interest in law into a lifelong passion. The School offers the following as either 3 year programmes or 4 year sandwich programmes:
We teach law as a single subject so that students may gain a solid and grounded foundation in law, resulting in confident graduates ready to meet the challenges of further study or professional life. The Brunel LLB Law is a qualifying law degree that provides students with the core modules that satisfy the requirements of the Law Society and the Bar Council. Final year students take charge of their degree by tailoring their studies to the areas of law they wish to explore and of which they wish to gain a deeper understanding.
Students on the LLB with Professional Placement will spend a year working in industry, where they gain valuable experience that may count towards the period of professional training required by the Law Society for solicitors' training. We are one of only a few UK law schools that offer this opportunity as a part of the degree programme. Students on the four-year placement programme graduate with a degree from a respected law school and a CV.
Students taking the LLB with Criminal Justice or LLB with International Arbitration & Commercial Law will obtain the traditional LLB qualification (both are qualifying law degrees recognised by the Law Society and Bar Council) but will also obtain a specialisation in a dynamic area of law, making them highly employable.
Brunel law students have amongst the highest graduate employment rates in the country (84%) and we have excellent links with industry. Our students are encouraged to take advantage of the many opportunities available to enhance their employability. We are proud of our award-winning Professional Development Centre, acknowledged as one of the best in the country.
Brunel Law School offers exceptional student support. We are one of the few UK law schools with a dedicated skills tutor who runs workshops designed to meet the needs of law students in the areas of essay writing, critical thinking, analysis and examination, presentations and time management among other subjects. International students can take advantage of free in-sessional English language classes.
Our students are also encouraged to deploy their knowledge through the mediums of film and literature. We feature popular reading groups that challenge students to take a fresh and contemporary view of law, thinking outside the box when faced with new concepts. Students are also encouraged to participate on our mooting team and the University's debating society.
Brunel Law School is an exciting place to study with many extra-curricular opportunities to provide an undergraduate experience that is as outstanding as you want to make it. We believe that education should not only include developing competency in a subject, but opportunities to create a well-rounded life and cultivate interests that will last a lifetime. Our lively Student Union is home to the Guild of Societies, offering many activities to keep you engaged, including an active student law society.
The School also offers outstanding opportunities for professional development, which will equip students with the specific skills indispensable to practising law.
Study with academics who are at the frontline of legal scholarship
Although Brunel Law School is research driven and had outstanding results in the 2008 RAE, students are at the heart of everything we do.
Through their research, your lecturers are constantly extending the frontiers of domestic and international legal scholarship. They address contemporary issues such as prisoner's rights, child-to-parent abuse, EU-refugee migration issues, human rights in anti-terrorism legislation, consumer's rights, international trade and intellectual property and much more. Our students are the first beneficiaries of the work of their academics.
Brunel Law School is home to respected research groups, which focus on the areas of:
- Commercial law
- Intellectual property
- Human rights
- Criminal justice
- Family law
Our students are encouraged to engage in conferences, seminars and workshops hosted by the groups, and to explore the many facets of law that will enhance their development.
Our lecturers are in demand and regularly contribute to international organizations such as:
- The United Nations including the International Crimes and Justice Research Unit (UNICJR)
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- UN International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia and other organizations such as the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe
- The European Commission
- The World Bank
- Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission
- Participation on the Strategic Traffic Consultative Forum of the Metropolitan Police.
Undergraduate students enjoy many benefits studying with us:
- A vibrant, friendly academic community with students and staff from the UK and over 100 countries.
- Robust student support services including a dedicated law study skills tutor and free in-sessional English language support for international students.
- A dedicated law library with access to online resources such as Hein onLine, Lexis-Nexis and Westlaw.
- Access to our award-winning Professional Development Centre for professional development support, which enhances the School's impressively high graduate employment rate (84%).
- Study in a London law school situated in a campus-based university featuring over 100 clubs and societies, some of the best sports facilities of any university in the city, and competitively priced, modern on-campus accommodation.
- Participation in innovative professional development short courses and in a network of leaders in industry and academia and our growing international alumni network.