The Knowledge Exchange Framework (KEF) At Brunel.
The Knowledge Exchange Framework or KEF was introduced by the UK Government in March 2021.The aim of the KEF is to provide businesses and other users with more information to help them access the world-class knowledge and expertise embedded in English universities. It also aims to increase efficiency and effectiveness in the use of public funding for knowledge exchange (KE). Universities are grouped into “Clusters” to ensure they are compared with similar sized institutions with broadly similar public “missions”.
The KEF evaluates seven different aspects of a universities work with external stakeholders which are known as ''Perspective''. The seven Perspectives a
- Public and community engagement
- Research partnerships
- Working with business
- Working with the public and third sector
- Local growth and regeneration
- Skills, enterprise and entrepreneurship
- IP and Commercialisation.
Brunel scores particularly well in the ‘public and community engagement,’ ‘research partnerships’ and ‘working with business’ categories, where it was placed in the top 30% of institutions within its cluster. The following highlights of this first iteration of the survey include:
- Brunel is in the top 30% of institutions for public engagement
- Brunel is in the top 30% for research partnerships
- Brunel is in the top 30% of universities for working with business
- Brunel is in the top 10% for Innovate UK funding as a proportion of research income
- Brunel is in the top 20% for consultancy and the use of facilities with SME’s
- Brunel is in the top 10% in terms of contribution to collaborative research as a proportion of public funding
- Brunel is in the top 50% for working with the public and third sector
- However, Brunel is in the top 40% for research income with the public and third sectors
- Brunel is ranked in the top 40% for co-authorship with non-academic partners
We are pleased that the inaugural KEF survey paints a very positive picture of Brunel’s external engagement and shows that businesses and other organisations can partner with us with confidence backed by this external and independent benchmark.
For further information on KEF, please visit kef.ac.uk