Updated 22nd September
As you may be aware, the reason for the ongoing closure of the Indoor Athletics Centre has been the challenge of the building’s natural ventilation and the potential for increased risks in the context of COVID-19. Student, staff and user safety has been and will remain paramount.
An external assessment has been conducted on the building and it concluded that we are now able to reopen for sport which is great news. It does however, initially at least, come with a number of stipulations which are detailed below:
- Sessions will be limited to 90 minutes with a maximum 60 people in the building (including staff and coaches) – all visits to the IAC will have to be booked via the Brunel Sport app
- Following each session, there will be a closure period to allow the air to refresh
- All windows and internal doors must remain open, including the offices which will be out of use
- Constant monitoring of CO2 levels will be taking place and in the case of rising CO2 levels within the building, the duty staff will need to take action which could include stopping sessions
Once we have some background data, we should (hopefully) be able to look at increasing capacity and reducing the down time but this will all be subject to the CO2 readings. You may see some activity in the IAC over the next fortnight while we test the new measures and the impact on CO2 levels within the building. Should the testing prove successful, we plan to reopen the building on 4th October for up to 60 people at a time.
I know this has been a frustrating period for everyone and we thank you all for your patience. The newly refurbished IAC looks amazing and we can’t wait to see activity back in there.
Head of Sport
Brunel University London | Uxbridge | UB8 3PH | UK
Updated 1st September 2021
We are writing to confirm ALL members can now access the gym without booking slots in advance. We also wish to remind Premium members of the upcoming return to original pricing from 1st October 2021.
Removal of Booking Slots
Access to the gym is now unrestricted and booking slots have been removed. We continue to provide enhanced cleaning in the facility, and politely ask all gym users to continue to wipe down any equipment used to ensure the facility remains safe and welcoming to all members.
Following the re-opening of all facilities on campus, we will be in a position to resume all Premium membership perks from October, including use of the Lancaster Hotel spa. Therefore, please take this as notice that Premium members’ Direct Debit will increase to original pricing, as below, from 1st October:
- £26.99/month – Student Premium
- £29.99/month – Brunel Staff & Concessions (eg. Senior 60, Corporate etc)
- £34.99/month - Public
What if I do not want to pay the price increase?
- If you wish to downgrade to a peak membership please give one month’s notice directly to DFC by emailing without delay: firstname.lastname@example.org – note, you will no longer benefit from Premium membership perks such as the spa, discounted physio and racket bookings.
- Any issues with Direct Debits should be communicated directly to DFC at email@example.com to ensure the issue is resolved without delay.
What if I am happy to continue with my membership on the new price point?
- There is nothing further for you to do, your Direct Debit will increase automatically from your usual payment date in October
A reminder of Premium membership benefits:
- Free off-peak squash and tennis bookings (1 hour booking per day – bookings made for longer will result in member times reduced to just 1 hour. No shows may result in future bookings being charged at the normal rate)
- Access to the Lancaster Hotel Spa (please note numbers are limited. You should contact the Lancaster Hotel directly on the day)
- One free personal training session (sessions are charged at the normal rates after your first session)
- Discounted physiotherapy with Uxbridge Physiotherapy
Thank you for your continued membership.
01895265305 | firstname.lastname@example.org | www.brunel.ac.uk/sport
Whilst we are excited to welcome you back, we appreciate that there may be some frustration that we are not able to make all of our facilities available from 12th April but our primary concern is, and will continue to be, the wellbeing of our students, staff and visitors.
Unfortunately, we are unable to give a reopening date for the Indoor Athletics Centre at this stage. The challenges of ensuring a COVID secure environment in such a substantial and unique space are extensive. We will provide a further update in due course. In the meantime, IAC users will be able to access both the Sports Centre Gym and the Outdoor Athletics facilities.
We are grateful for your continued understanding and look forward to welcoming you back to our sports facilities soon.