Team Brunel and professional rugby outfit Ealing Trailfinders are to extend their Rugby Scholarship Programme to include women, it has been announced.
The scheme has accepted male players since its launch in 2018 but will now offer scholarships for women, as Ealing attempt to build a world-class hub for female rugby players.
As they do for the men’s team, Ealing Trailfinders will provide their women’s team with coaches, strength and conditioning staff, analysts and a medical team, with the aim of creating one of the most comprehensive programmes in the country, allowing students to combine top-level rugby with their academic studies.
Students will have the opportunity to join Ealing Trailfinders Academy and train with a professional team around their education, getting access to the club’s two 4G pitches, two gyms and a brand-new medical area.
The scholarship includes:
- Cash bursary/financial assistance with university accommodation and tuition fees (based on scholarship application and Rugby CV)
- Weekly elite level coaching from Ealing Trailfinders team of professional coaches
- Free access to coach Logic analysis platform. Bespoke strength & conditioning programme set by Ealing Trailfinders S&C coaches
- Medical support from Brunel’s and Ealing Trailfinders' medical teams
- Sports psychology support
- Placement in university accommodation next to Brunel sports facilities with other sport scholars
- Free membership to Brunel’s sports facilities including the Indoor Athletics Centre and strength & conditioning gym
- Free access to Brunel’s Lancaster Hotel spa facilities on campus which include ice pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room
- Free Brunel sports scholarship and Ealing Trailfinders training kit
- Free season ticket access to Ealing Trailfinders’ Greene King IPA Championship campaign
- Work experience and networking opportunities to support your degree
- Access to industry professionals and education to teach life skills associated with becoming a performance scholar
The world-class facilities at Trailfinders compliment those already available at Brunel, which include an international-standard pitch, used by the French international team for their World Cup 2015 preparations.
Ben Ward, Director of Rugby at Ealing Trailfinders, said: “We are pleased to announce that we've secured long term investment to run a programme for women alongside our successful men's programme. Our aspiration is to produce home grown Ealing Trailfinders players, both men and women, and give them the best opportunities to become great rugby players as well as prepare them for their careers after rugby.
Mark Burgess, Head of Sport at Brunel, said: “This is fantastic news, not only for Ealing but also for Brunel with the benefits this will bring to our women’s rugby programme. With plans to improve our rugby pitch and gym capacity, rugby at Brunel continues to grow at pace and 2021 will be yet another exciting year for our partnership.”
For further information, please visit: brunel.ac.uk/ealing-trailfinders
Press Office, Media Relations
+44 (0)1895 268965 email@example.com