Professor Hua Zhao FREng
Vice Dean Research/Professor/Theme Leader
Howell Building 109b
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 266698
- Vice Dean (Research), College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
- Chairman, College Research Ethics Committee
- Director, Centre for Advanced Powertrain and Fuels (CAPF)
- Former Head of Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Former course directors for BEng/MEng Degrees in Motorsport Engineering, MSc in Automotive and Motorsport Engineering
- Former supervisor and faculty advisor for Brunel Formula Student and Brunel Master Racing teams
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- BEng., Tianjin University, China, 1984.
- PhD., Leeds University, U.K., 1989.
- FIMechE., Fellow of Institution of Mechanical Engineers (UK), 2007.
- DSc., Brunel University London, 2009.
- FSAE, Fellow of Society of Automotive Engineers (US), 2012
- FREng, Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering (UK), 2015
- College Research Fellow, Robinson College, Cambridge University, 1989-1992.
- Research Fellow, Imperial College of London, 1992-1994.
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader, Brunel University London, 1994-2001.
- Professor, Brunel University London, 2002-now.
- Recipient of 1997 Caleb Brett Award by the Institute of Energy for the best paper published on fuels or lubricants, 1998.
- Recipient of 1998 Safety Award by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers for the best paper published on the safey aspect of mechanical engineering, 1999.
- Recipient of the 2004 PE Publishing Award by the Professional Engineering Publishing for the best paper published at the International Journal of Engines Research, 2005.
- SAE Certificate for Excellence in Oral Presentation at SAE 2005 Internaltional Congress.
- 2009 Winner of the LowCVP Technology Challenge for patented RegenEBD Technology
- 2012 Winner of Islands of Excellence of FISITA2012 World Automotive Congress
- 2015 Herbert Akroyd Stuart Prize the Institution of Mechanical Engineers for the best paper on IC engines.
- Cheung Kang Scholars, Ministry of Education, China.
- Outstanding Young Overseas Scholarship, NSFC, China.
- Visiting Professor, Tianjin University, since 2001.
- Visiting Professor, Shangdong University, since 2005.
- Visiting Professor, Hunan University, since 2006.
- Honorary Professor, Zhejiang Automotive Institute, 2008.
- Chairman of Powertrain System and Fuels Group (PSFG) Board, IMechE
- Member of EPSRC peer review college and Panel member
- External Examiner:
Bradford University (1), University of Brighton (2), University College of London (2), University of Manchester (2), City University London (1), University of Bath (3), University of Nottingham (2), Queens University of Belfast (1), University of Birmingham (1), University of Lund in Sweden (3), Cambridge University (2), Oxford University (1), University of Sussex (2), Queen Mary University of London (1). University of Hudderfield (1), Chamer University in Sweden (1)
- Chairman of IMechE International Conference on IC Engines and Fuels
- Chairman of Engineering Foundation conference on IC Engines for future vehicles
- Ricardo UK Ltd., BP, SAIC, YuChai Machinery, Petrobras, Cosworth, Greatwall Automotive, FAW, Visteon, Mechadyne International.
Newest selected publications
Tongroon, M. and Zhao, H. (2010) 'Combustion characteristics of CAI combustion with alcohol fuels'.SAE 2010 World Congress & Exhibition: Kinetically Controlled CI Combustion and Controls. SAE International. pp. Paper number 2010-01-0843 - Paper number 2010-01-0843.Open Access Link
Diez, A. and Zhao, H. (2010) 'Investigation of split injection in a single cylinder optical diesel engine'.SAE World Congress and Exhibition. Detroit, MI, USA. 1 SAE International.Open Access Link
Zhang, Y., Zhao, H., Xie, H. and He, B-Q. (2010) 'Variable-valve-actuation-enabled high-efficiency gasoline engine'. PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART D-JOURNAL OF AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING, 224 (D8). pp. 1081 - 1095. ISSN: 0954-4070
Diez, A. and Zhao, H. (2010) 'Effect of the dwell angle of split injection in a single-cylinder optical diesel engine'. PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART D-JOURNAL OF AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING, 224 (D6). pp. 815 - 828. ISSN: 0954-4070