Professor / Theme Leader for Resource Efficient Future Cities
I studied for an MSc in Environmental Design and Engineering at the Bartlett School, University College London (UCL). I stayed at UCL to carry out a PhD on the 'Thermal Performance of Housing' and further on for a post-doc on a two year project to develop environmental design guidance for research laboratories. I then moved on to the University of Westminster for a three-year post-doc on an EPSRC funded project dealing with Moisture in Residential Buildings. I joined Brunel in 1998.
I worked for five years at the Building Research Establishment, Garston in the Indoor Environment Division. My research work focused on the application of natural ventilation strategies in office buildings as well as other energy and indoor air quality related issues in non-domestic buildings.
- Urban heat island
- Urban microclimatic characteristics
- Carbon emission reduction
- Sustainable heating and cooling energy technologies
- Low energy building design
- Operational use of buildings
- Knowledge transfer to other regions
Research interestsExpertise include the application of thermal, air flow and contaminant movement software in domestic and commercial/public buildings to predict internal comfort conditions and air quality; extensive knowledge of laboratory and field measurements using state-of-the-art monitoring equipment to measure environmental conditions in buildings including ventilation and the effect of urban environment.
Research project(s) and grant(s)
- USE Efficiency – Universities and Students for Energy Efficiency; funded by EU Intelligent Energy – Europe Programme (EACI); 2009-2012; more details in http://www.useefficiency.eu/
- COOL ROOFS – Promotion of Cool Roofs in the EU; funded by EU Intelligent Energy – Europe Programme (IEEA); 2009-2011; more details in http://coolroofcouncil.eu/
- LUCID - The Development of a Local Urban Climate Model and its Application to the Intelligent Development of Cities; funded by EPSRC, in collaboration with UCL and Reading Universities, 2007-2010.
- Building AdVent - Building Advanced Ventilation Technological examples; funded by EU Intelligent Energy – Europe Programme (IEEA); 2007-2009.
- Energy Storage System in Buildings, funded by EPSRC and Buro Happold Consulting Engineers, 2007-2010.
- Wind driven natural ventilation and cooling for non-domestic buildings; funded by EPSRC and Monodraught Ltd; 2005-2009
- IEA, ECBCS Annex 44, Integrating environmentally responsive elements in buildings; funded by EPSRC and Buro Happold Consulting Engineers; 2004-2008; more details in http://annex44.civil.aau.dk/
- Development of a computerised assessment method (toolkit) for carrying out energy audit and energy management services for commercial and industrial buildings to enable compliance with the European Directive on the Energy Performance of Buildings; funded by DTI under the KTP Programme, 2005-2008.
- A multidisciplinary Approach to Curriculum Development in Sustainable Built Environment; funded by the EU ASIA-LINK programme; 2005-2008.
- Vent DisCourse: Development of Distance Learning Vocational Training Material for the Promotion of Best Practice Ventilation Energy Performance in Buildings.; funded by EU Intelligent Energy – Europe Programme; 2005-2007.
- Post-occupancy building evaluation; funded by EPSRC and Buro Happold Consulting Engineers; 2003-2007
- Sustainable Energy Use in Food Chains (CSEF); funded by EPSRC; 2013-2018; more details in http://www.foodenergy.org.uk/
- Ventilative Cooling, EBC Annex 62, International Energy Agency, 2013-2017; more details in http://venticool.eu/
- The Application of Solar-Powered Proton Exchange Membrane (PEM) Electrolysers for the Sustainable Production of Hydrogen Gas as Fuel for Domestic Cooking; funded by the ACP Caribbean & Pacific Research Programme for Sustainable Development (ACP/EU PROJECT 2012-2015) under the auspices of the EuropeAid Directorate-General of the European Union; 2012-2015
- Energy BITS – Young people and media for a low energy footprint (E-BITS); funded by EU Intelligent Energy – Europe Programme (EACI); 2011-2013; more details in http://www.energybits.eu/en/
TeachingBuilding Environmental Design, Building Services Engineering, Energy and the Environment, Sustainable Energy Technologies.
Mylona, Z. , Kolokotroni, M. and Tassou, SA. (2017) 'Frozen food retail: measuring and modelling energy use and space environmental systems in an operational supermarket'. Energy and Buildings, 144 doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.03.049 Download publication
Kolokotroni, M. and O'Sullivan, P. (Accepted) 'A field study of wind dominant single sided ventilation through a narrow slotted architectural louvre system'. Energy and Buildings. Download publication
Kolokotroni, M. , Topriska, E. , Dehouche, Z. , Wilson, E. and Notievo, D. (2016) 'The potential to generate solar hydrogen for cooking applications: Case studies of Ghana, Jamaica and Indonesia'. Renewable Energy. doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2016.04.060 Download publication
O'Sullivan, PD. and Kolokotroni, M. (2016) 'Non Dimensional Analysis and Characterisation of Driving Forces for a Single Sided Slot Louvre Ventilation System'. International Journal of Ventilation, 14 (4). pp. 335 - 347. doi: 10.1080/14733315.2016.11684091 Download publication
Kolokotroni, M. , Santos, T. and Hopper, N. (2016) 'Ventilative cooling of a seminar room using active PCM thermal storage'. REHVA Journal. pp. 36 - 40. Download publication
Topriska, E. , Kolokotroni, M. , Dehouche, Z. and Wilson, E. (2015) 'Solar hydrogen system for cooking applications: Experimental and numerical study'. Renewable Energy, 83 pp. 717 - 728. doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2015.05.011 Download publication
Kolokotroni, M. , Tassou, SA. and Gowreesunker, BL. (2015) 'Energy aspects and ventilation of food retail buildings'. Advances in Building Energy Research, 9 (1). pp. 1 - 19. doi: 10.1080/17512549.2014.897252 Download publication
O'Sullivan, PD. and Kolokotroni, M. (2014) 'Time-averaged single sided ventilation rates and thermal environment in cooling mode for a low energy retrofit envelope'. International Journal of Ventilation, 13 (2). pp. 153 - 168. Download publication
Tassou, SA. , Kolokotroni, M. , Gowreesunker, B. , Stojceska, V. , et al. (2014) 'Energy demand and reduction opportunities in the UK food chain'. Proceedings of Institution of Civil Engineers: Energy, 167 (3). pp. 162 - 170. doi: 10.1680/ener.14.00014
Farrou, I. , Kolokotroni, M. and Santamouris, M. (2014) 'Building envelope design for climate change mitigation: a case study of hotels in Greece'. International Journal of Sustainable Energy. pp. 1 - 24. doi: 10.1080/14786451.2014.966711 Download publication
Gowreesunker, BL. , Tassou, SA. and Kolokotroni, M. (2013) 'Coupled TRNSYS-CFD simulations evaluating the performance of PCM plate heat exchangers in an Airport Terminal building displacement conditioning system'. Building and Environment, 65 pp. 132 - 145. doi: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2013.04.003 Download publication
Kolokotroni, M. , Ren, X. , Davies, M. and Mavrogianni, A. (2012) 'London's urban heat island: Impact on current and future energy consumption in office buildings'. Energy and Buildings, 47 pp. 302 - 311. doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.12.019 Download publication
Watkins, R. and Kolokotroni, M. (2012) 'The london urban heat island - Upwind vegetation effects on local temperatures'. Proceedings - 28th International PLEA Conference on Sustainable Architecture + Urban Design: Opportunities, Limits and Needs - Towards an Environmentally Responsible Architecture, PLEA 2012.
Farrou, I. , Kolokotroni, M. and Santamouris, M. (2012) 'A method for energy classification of hotels: A case-study of Greece'. Energy and Buildings, 55 pp. 553 - 562. doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.08.010
Axon, CJ. , Bright, SJ. , Dixon, TJ. , Janda, KB. and Kolokotroni, M. (2012) 'Building communities: Reducing energy use in tenanted commercial property'. Building Research and Information: the international journal of research, development and demonstration, 40 (4). pp. 461 - 471. doi: 10.1080/09613218.2012.680701 Download publication
Oikonomou, E. , Davies, M. , Mavrogianni, A. , Biddulph, P. , et al. (2012) 'Modelling the relative importance of the urban heat island and the thermal quality of dwellings for overheating in London'. Building and Environment, 57 pp. 223 - 238. doi: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2012.04.002
Kolokotroni, M. , Gowreesunker, BL. and Giridharan, R. (2013) 'Cool roof technology in London: An experimental and modelling study'. Energy and Buildings, 67 pp. 658 - 667. doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.07.011 Download publication
Mavrogianni, A. , Davies, M. , Batty, M. , Belcher, SE. , et al. (2011) 'The comfort, energy and health implications of London's urban heat island'. BUILDING SERVICES ENGINEERING RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY, 32 (1). pp. 35 - 52. doi: 10.1177/0143624410394530
Kolokotroni, M. , Davies, M. , Croxford, B. , Bhuiyan, S. and Mavrogianni, A. (2010) 'A validated methodology for the prediction of heating and cooling energy demand for buildings within the urban heat island case-study of London'. Solar Energy, 84 (12). pp. 2246 - 2255. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2010.08.002 Download publication
Warwick, DJ. , Cripps, AJ. and Koloktroni, M. (2009) 'Integrating active thermal mass strategies with HVAC systems: Dynamic thermal modelling'. International Journal of Ventilation, 7 (4). pp. 345 - 368.
Mavrogianni, A. , Davies, M. , Chalabi, Z. , Wilkinson, P. , et al. (2009) 'Space heating demand and heatwave vulnerability: London domestic stock'. Building Research and Information, 37 (5-6). pp. 583 - 597. doi: 10.1080/09613210903162597
Giridharan, R. and Kolokotroni, M. (2009) 'Urban heat island characteristics in London during winter'. Solar Energy, 83 (9). pp. 1668 - 1682. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2009.06.007
Kolokotroni, M. , Zhang, Y. and Giridharan, R. (2009) 'Heating and cooling degree day prediction within the London urban heat island area'. Journal of Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 30 (3). pp. 183 - 202. doi: 10.1177/0143624409104733
Kolokotroni, M. and Giridharan, R. (2008) 'Urban heat island intensity in London: an investigation of the impact of physical characteristics on changes in outdoor air temperature during summer'. Solar Energy, 82 (11). pp. 986 - 998. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2008.05.004 Download publication
Watkins, R. , Palmer, J. and Kolokotroni, M. (2007) 'Increased temperature and intensification of the urban heat island: Implications for human comfort and urban design'. Built Environment, 33 (1). pp. 85 - 96. doi: 10.2148/benv.33.1.85
Kolokotroni, M. , Zhang, Y. and Watkins, R. (2007) 'The London heat island and building cooling design'. Solar Energy, 81 (1). pp. 102 - 110. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2006.06.005
Pegg, IM. , Cripps, A. and Kolokotroni, M. (2007) 'Post-occupancy performance of five low-energy schools in the UK'. ASHRAE Transactions, 113 (2). pp. 3 - 13.
Cooke, R. , Cripps, A. , Irwin, A. and Kolokotroni, M. (2007) 'Alternative energy technologies in buildings: stakeholder perceptions'. Renewable Energy, 32 (14). pp. 2320 - 2333. doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2006.12.004
Kolokotroni, M. , Giannitsaris, I. and Watkins, R. (2006) 'The effect of the London urban heat island on building summer cooling demand and night ventilation strategies'. Solar Energy, 80 (4). pp. 383 - 392. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2005.03.010
Pegg, I. , Cripps, A. and Kolokotroni, M. (2005) 'A post-occupancy evaluation of a low energy school (City Academy) in the UK'. International Journal of Ventilation, 4 (3). pp. 215 - 225. doi: 10.5555/ijov.2005.4.3.215
Somarathne, S. , Seymour, M. and Kolokotroni, M. (2005) 'Dynamic thermal CFD simulation of a typical office by efficient transient solution methods'. Building and Environment, 40 (7). pp. 887 - 896. doi: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2004.09.016
Kolokotroni, M. , Robinson-Gayle, S. , Tanno, S. and Cripps, A. (2004) 'Environmental impact analysis for typical office facades'. Building Research and Information, 32 (1). pp. 2 - 16. doi: 10.1080/0961321031000108807
Watkins, R. , Palmer, J. , Kolokotroni, M. and Littlefair, P. (2002) 'The London heat island: Results from summertime monitoring'. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 23 (2). pp. 97 - 106.
Watkins, R. , Palmer, J. , Kolokotroni, M. and Littlefair, P. (2002) 'The balance of the annual heating and cooling demand within the London urban heat island'. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 23 (4). pp. 207 - 213. doi: 10.1191/0143624402bt043oa
Kolokotroni, M. , Ge, YT. and Katsoulas, D. (2002) 'Monitoring and modelling indoor air quality and ventilation in classrooms within a purpose-designed naturally ventilated school'. Indoor and Built Environment, 11 (6). pp. 316 - 326. doi: 10.1159/000068232
(2001) 'Night ventilation cooling of office buildings: Parametric analyses of conceptual energy impacts'. ASHRAE Transactions, 107 PART. 1 pp. 479 - 489.
Robinson-Gayle, S. , Kolokotroni, M. , Cripps, A. and Tanno, S. (2001) 'ETFE foil cushions in roofs and atria'. Construction and Building Materials, 15 (7). pp. 323 - 327. doi: 10.1016/S0950-0618(01)00013-7
Kolokotroni, M. , Perera, M. , Azzi, D. and Virk, GS. (2001) 'An investigation of passive ventilation cooling and control strategies for an educational building'. Applied Thermal Engineering, 21 (2). pp. 183 - 199. doi: 10.1016/S1359-4311(00)00008-9
Topriska, E. , Kolokotroni, M. , Dehouche, Z. , Potopsingh, R. and Wilson, E. (Accepted) 'The Application of Solar-Powered Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) Electrolysers for the Sustainable Production of Hydrogen Gas as Fuel for Domestic Cooking', in