Action Tutoring - Volunteer Tutor (English or Maths)
Details of the Charity:Share this
Action Tutoring is an education charity that supports disadvantaged young people to achieve meaningful qualifications on leaving primary and secondary school. We partner our brilliant volunteer tutors with school pupils to increase their subject knowledge while building confidence and study skills. We are an official provider for the National Tutoring Programme (NTP), a government initiative to support disadvantaged pupils to recover from the educational disruption caused by COVID-19. Disadvantaged pupils have been hit hardest by this crisis, and we want to help as many as we can!
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Education in this country isn’t fair. If you are from a poorer socio-economic background, you are less likely to achieve academically than your peers. Volunteer as an English or Maths tutor with us, and you will be helping these young people reach their potential. You will be directly supporting them to build their confidence and help ensure they leave school with grades that enable social mobility.
As a volunteer tutor, you will choose one of our partner schools and work with one or two pupils for an hour a week across the course of a school term (8-10 weeks). Sessions are either delivered on the school premises or online at the same time each week. We provide all of our tutors with training and workbooks/session templates to use in sessions, and we will also process a DBS check for you.
- You need to be a fluent English speaker and have achieved an A or B at A-Level (or equivalent) in the subject or similar subject you wish to tutor
- Enthusiasm for learning and the subject you're tutoring is important
- Experience working with young people is helpful but not essential
- We look for volunteers with good communication skills, patience, commitment and resilience
We do review all qualifications and experience and would encourage you to apply even if you don't meet the exact criteria.
- Through tutoring with us, our volunteers can develop a wealth of transferable skills
- Volunteering Hours go towards the Brunel Volunteers Award