Samaritans- Listening Volunteer
Details of the Charity:Share this
Being a Samaritan means being there for people who need someone to listen. Last year around 22,000 people volunteered their time with us.
Details of the Volunteering Opportunity:
Listening Volunteers provide confidential emotional support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide.
Support is provided by telephone, face to face, email, letter, web chat and whatever other means of communication may be adopted by Samaritans.
- To provide confidential emotional support T
- To uphold Samaritans Mission, Vision & Values & Policies & Procedures
- To debrief with Duty Leader after each shift•
- To liaise with Duty Leader in respect of difficult or emergency situations or when in doubt
- To follow instructions given by duty Leader or Director
- To maintain caller log sheets and/or systems as required by the branch
- To undertake continuous development training
Initial Training 5/6 hours a week, 6-8 weeks commitment. Virtual Trainer Led and Self Learn.
Following 6 months probation further training is optional to become an Outreach Volunteer in addition to regular listening shifts.
1 shift per week either 3 hours or 4.5 hours.
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday & over night (Night Shifts)
- Alternative days early mornings (Day Shifts)
Hillingdon Samaritans, 2 Press Road, Uxbridge, UB8 1AT
- Open Minded
- Excellent Samaritans training
- Ongoing Mentoring and shift support
- Volunteering Hours to go towards the Brunel Volunteers Awards