I am a Researcher and Senior Lecturer in Sport & Exercise Psychology here at Brunel, a British Psychological Society (BPS) Chartered Psychologist registered to practise with the HCPC, an Associate Fellow of the BPS, and a Fellow of Advance HE (formerly the HEA).
I have worked in both public and private sectors, including local authorities, the NHS, investment banks, the health & fitness industry and Further Education. These experiences have given me a sophisticated understanding of the challenges faced in this diverse range of industries, which is why I continue to add value to the performance of various individuals and organisations - using established psychological principles to do so.
In my role as Departmental Lead for Staff Experience & Wellbeing, my aim is for Brunel to deservedly attain national recognition (e.g., the MIND Index Awards) for its long-term prioritisation of staff wellbeing and mental health.
When I’m not working, I love to spend as much time as possible with my family and friends; and I try to fit writing two books into my spare time! I’m also enjoying the challenge of rebuilding my left knee from the inside out, with a careful self-determined rehabilitation programme, so that I can run as I used to (marathon PB: 2.44.33); so far, so good...
- PhD, Manipulating Emotions for Performance
- MSc Sport & Exercise Psychology
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
I fulfil various roles:
- Staff Experience & Wellbeing Lead, Department of Life Sciences
- Programme Lead, BSc Psychology (Sport, Health and Exercise)
- Brunel Recognised Programme Developer, including spearheading of 2019 SHES programmes revamp
- University Misconduct and Professional Suitability Chair and Panel Member
- Athena SWAN Self-assessment Team Member (Bronze Award) College of Health and Life Sciences (CHLS)
- PhD and MPhil Examiner
- Postgraduate Research Supervisor (see Teaching/Supervision)
- Postgraduate and Undergraduate Module Leader (see Teaching/Supervision)
- CHLS Research Ethics Committee Member
- Peer Reviewer for (inter alia) Behavioral Research Methods, Brain and Cognition, European Journal of Sport Science, Experimental Brain Research, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, Human Movement Science, International Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, Journal of Sports Sciences, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, Journal of Sports Science & Medicine, Music Performance Research, Neuroimage, Neuropsychologia, Physiology & Behaviour, Psychology of Music, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Scientific Reports, The Sport Psychologist.
Newest selected publications
Bishop, D., Broadbent, D., Sachdeva, R. and Patel, V. (2021) 'Bicycle Safety Lights and Driving Behaviour: A Real-World Pilot Study'.International Cycling Safety Conference 2021: ICSC 2021. Lund, Sweden.Open Access Link
Castro, F., Bryjka, PA., Di Pino, G., Vuckovic, A., Nowicky, A. and Bishop, D. (2021) 'Sonification of Combined Action Observation and Motor Imagery: Effects on Corticospinal Excitability'. Brain and Cognition, 152 (August 2021). pp. 1 - 10. ISSN: 0278-2626 Open Access Link
Castro, F., Osman, L., Di Pino, G., Vuckovic, A., Nowicky, A. and Bishop, D. (2021) 'Does sonification of action simulation training impact corticospinal excitability and audiomotor plasticity?'. Experimental Brain Research, 239 (5). pp. 1489 - 1505. ISSN: 0014-4819
Gredin, NV., Bishop, DT., Williams, AM. and Broadbent, DP. (2020) 'Integrating explicit contextual priors and kinematic information during anticipation'. Journal of Sports Sciences, in press (7). pp. 783 - 791. ISSN: 0264-0414 Open Access Link
Gredin, NV., Bishop, DT., Williams, AM. and Broadbent, D. (2020) 'The use of contextual priors and visual information during anticipation in sport: Toward a Bayesian integration framework'. International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology, in press. pp. 1 - 25. ISSN: 1750-984X Open Access Link