I am a Researcher and Senior Lecturer in Sport & Exercise Psychology here at Brunel, a British Psychological Society (BPS) Chartered Psychologist registered to practise with the HCPC, an Associate Fellow of the BPS, and a Fellow of Advance HE (formerly the HEA).
I have worked in both public and private sectors, including local authorities, the NHS, investment banks, the health & fitness industry and Further Education. These experiences have given me a sophisticated understanding of the challenges faced in this diverse range of industries, which is why I continue to add value to the performance of various individuals and organisations - using established psychological principles to do so.
In my role as Departmental Lead for Staff Experience & Wellbeing, my aim is for Brunel to deservedly attain national recognition (e.g., the MIND Index Awards) for its long-term prioritisation of staff wellbeing and mental health.
When I’m not working, I love to spend as much time as possible with my family and friends; and I try to fit writing two books into my spare time! I’m also enjoying the challenge of rebuilding my left knee from the inside out, with a careful self-determined rehabilitation programme, so that I can run as I used to (marathon PB: 2.44.33); so far, so good...
- PhD, Manipulating Emotions for Performance
- MSc Sport & Exercise Psychology
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
I fulfil various roles:
- Staff Experience & Wellbeing Lead, Department of Life Sciences
- Programme Lead, BSc Psychology (Sport, Health and Exercise)
- Brunel Recognised Programme Developer, including spearheading of 2019 SHES programmes revamp
- University Misconduct and Professional Suitability Chair and Panel Member
- Athena SWAN Self-assessment Team Member (Bronze Award) College of Health and Life Sciences (CHLS)
- PhD and MPhil Examiner
- Postgraduate Research Supervisor (see Teaching/Supervision)
- Postgraduate and Undergraduate Module Leader (see Teaching/Supervision)
- CHLS Research Ethics Committee Member
- Peer Reviewer for (inter alia) Behavioral Research Methods, Brain and Cognition, European Journal of Sport Science, Experimental Brain Research, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, Human Movement Science, International Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, Journal of Sports Sciences, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, Journal of Sports Science & Medicine, Music Performance Research, Neuroimage, Neuropsychologia, Physiology & Behaviour, Psychology of Music, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Scientific Reports, The Sport Psychologist.
Newest selected publications
D’Innocenzo, G., Nowicky, AV. and Bishop, DT. (2019) 'Dynamic task observation: A gaze-mediated complement to traditional action observation treatment?'. Behavioural Brain Research, In press. pp. 112351 - 112351. ISSN: 0166-4328 Open Access Link
Gredin, NV., Broadbent, DP., Williams, AM. and Bishop, DT. (2019) 'Judgement utility modulates the use of explicit contextual priors and visual information during anticipation'. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 45. pp. 101578 - 101578. ISSN: 1469-0292 Open Access Link
Wright, MJ. and Bishop, DT. (2019) 'Neurophysiological studies of action anticipation in sport', in Williams, AM. and Jackson, RC. (eds.) Anticipation and Decision Making in Sport. Routledge. pp. 137 - 160.
Gredin, NV., Bishop, DT., Broadbent, DP. and Williams, AM. (2018) 'The roles of contextual priors and kinematic information during anticipation: Toward a Bayesian integration model'. HUMAN KINETICS PUBL INC. pp. S92 - S92. ISSN: 0895-2779 Open Access Link
Bigliassi, M., Karageorghis, CI., Bishop, DT., Nowicky, AV. and Wright, MJ. (2018) 'Cerebral effects of music during isometric exercise: An fMRI study'. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 133. pp. 131 - 139. ISSN: 1872-7697 Open Access Link