Dr Philip Collins
Vice Dean Education/Senior Lecturer
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
- Institute of Energy Futures
- Resource Efficient Future Cities
Phil Collins is Vice Dean (Education) in the College of Engineering, Design & Physical Sciences and Senior Lecturer in Geology & Geotechnical Engineering. He completed his doctoral research into the Quaternary geology of the Kennet Valley at the University of Reading in 1994. He started postdoctoral studies into relative sea level change in the Department of Geography & Earth Sciences at the West London Institute, before becoming a lecturer at Brunel University College in 1995, moving to the Uxbridge Campus in 1997.
In 2007, University restructuring saw him join the Department of Mechanical Engineering where he led the establishment of the new Civil Engineering degree programme. In 2009, he was appointed Acting Head of the newly formed Civil Engineering Subject Area. He continues to be an active member of the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, as well as contributing to a range of College and University activities.
Civil Engineering Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/CivilatBrunel
From the start of Civil Engineering in 2007, I have actively worked to develop numerous excellent contacts in the Civil Engineering sector. The current input our courses receive from practising engineers is significant and brings a very applied perspective to what we deliver.
I have been heavily involved in the accreditation process since the start of the Civil Engineering courses in 2007, and have been lead author on a number of accreditation reports submitted to the Joint Board of Moderators.
I sit on a range of committees and panels including:
- Senate, Brunel University London
- University Education Strategy Committee
- College (CEDPS) Management Board
- College Education Strategy Committee (Chair)
- College Education Committee
- Coolege International Committee
- Civil & Environmental Engineering Board of Studies
- Civil & Environmental Engineering Student Experience Committee
- Civil & Environmental Engineering Examination Board
- Geological Society of London - Fellow
- Royal Geographical Society – Fellow
- Institution of Civil Engineers – Graduate Member
- British Geotechnical Association - Member
- Geologists’ Association – Member
- Quaternary Research Association – Member
- British Society for Geomorphology - Member
Newest selected publications
Banks, VJ., Bricker, SH., Royse, KR. and Collins, PEF. (2015) 'Anomalous buried hollows in London: development of a hazard susceptibility map'. QUARTERLY JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING GEOLOGY AND HYDROGEOLOGY, 48 (1). pp. 55 - 70. ISSN: 1470-9236 Open Access Link
Dai, D., Fan, M. and Collins, P. (2013) 'Fabrication of nanocelluloses from hemp fibers and their application for the reinforcement of hemp fibers'. Industrial Crops and Products, 44. pp. 192 - 199. ISSN: 0926-6690
Teasdale, PA., Collins, PEF., Firth, CR. and Cundy, AB. (2011) 'Recent estuarine sedimentation rates from shallow inter-tidal environments in western Scotland: implications for future sea-level trends and coastal wetland development'. Quaternary Science Reviews, 30 (1-2). pp. 109 - 129.
Moir, AK., Leroy, SAG., Brown, D. and Collins, PEF. (2010) 'Dendroecological evidence for a lower water-table on peatland around 3200-3000 BC from subfossil pine in northern Scotland'. The Holocene, 20 (6). pp. 931 - 942. ISSN: 0959-6836
Pantosti, D., Pucci, S., Palyvos, N., De Martini, PM., D'Addezio, G., Collins, PEF. and (2008) 'Paleoearthquakes of the Düzce fault (North Anatolian fault zone): Insights for large surface faulting earthquake recurrence'. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 113 (B1). ISSN: 0148-0227 Open Access Linket al.