Re-Engineering, Refactoring and Bad Smells
About Re-Engineering, Refactoring and Bad Smells
The area of software re-engineering, refactoring and bad smells focuses on understanding problems in code known as "bad smells", these contribute to technical debt. We study cases of software projects suffering from bad smells and explore ways in which they can be addressed as well as investigate why they occur and how they can affect existing software projects.
- Shepperd, M. and Menzies, T. (2019) '“Bad Smells” in Software Analytics Papers'. Information and Software Technology, 112. pp. 35 - 47. ISSN: 0950-5849
- Shepperd, M., Ajienka, N. and Counsell, S. (2018) 'The role and value of replication in empirical software engineering results'. Information and Software Technology, 99. pp. 120 - 132. ISSN: 0950-5849
- Shepperd, M. (2018) 'Replication considered harmful'.40th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering - New Ideas and Emerging Results. Gothenburg.
- Fucci, D., Scanniello, G., Romano, S., Shepperd, M., Sigweni, B., Uyaguari, F., et al. (2016) 'An External Replication on the Effects of Test-driven Development Using a Multi-site Blind Analysis Approach'.the 10th ACM/IEEE International Symposium. ACM. pp. 3:1 - 3:10. ISSN: 1949-3770
- Ceccato, M., Capiluppi, A., Falcarin, P. and Boldyreff, C. (2015) 'A large study on the effect of code obfuscation on the quality of java code'. Empirical Software Engineering, 20 (6). pp. 1486 - 1524. ISSN: 1382-3256
- Shepperd, M., Song, Q., Sun, Z. and Mair, C. (2013) 'Data quality: Some comments on the NASA software defect datasets'. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 39 (9). pp. 1208 - 1215. ISSN: 0098-5589
- Izquierdo-Cortazar, D., Capiluppi, A. and Gonzalez-Barahona, JM. (2013) 'Are developers fixing their own bugs?: Tracing bug-fixing and bug-seeding committers', inOpen Source Software Dynamics, Processes, and Applications. IGI Global. pp. 79 - 98. ISBN 10: 1466629371. ISBN 13: 9781466629370.
- Counsell, S., Hierons, RM., Hamza, H., Black, S. and Durrand, M. (2010) 'Exploring the eradication of code smells: An empirical and theoretical perspective'. Advances in Software Engineering, 2010. pp. 820103 - 820103. ISSN: 1687-8655
- Hamza, H. and Counsell, S. (2010) 'The impact of varying memory region numbers and nesting on RTSJ execution time'.3rd International Conference on Computer and Electrical Engineering (ICCEE 2010). Chengdu, China. 16 - 18 November. IEEE.
- Counsell, S., Loizou, G. and Najjar, R. (2010) 'Evaluation of the 'replace constructors with creation methods' refactoring in Java systems'. IET Software, 4 (5). pp. 318 - 333. ISSN: 1751-8806
- Ali, N., Nellipaiappan, R., Chandran, R. and Babar, MA. (2010) 'Model driven support for the Service Oriented Architecture modeling language'.the 2nd International Workshop. ACM Press. pp. 8 - 14. ISSN: 0270-5257
- Counsell, S., Hamza, H. and Hierons, RM. (2010) 'The ‘deception’ of code smells: An empirical investigation'.32nd International Conference on Information Technology Interfaces (ITI 2010). Cavtat / Dubrovnik, Croatia. 21 - 24 June. IEEE. pp. 683 - 688. ISSN: 1330-1012
- Nasseri, E. and Counsell, S. (2009) 'System Evolution at the Attribute Level: An Empirical Study of Three Java OSS and their Refactorings'.31st International Conference on Information Technology Interfaces. Cavtat, CROATIA. 22 - 25 June. SRCE UNIV COMPUTING CENTRE, UNIV ZAGREB. pp. 653 - 658. ISSN: 1330-1012
- Hamza, H., Counsell, S., Hall, T. and Loizou, G. (2008) 'Code smell eradication and associated refactoring'.2nd European Computing Conference 2008. Malta. 11 - 13 September. WORLD SCIENTIFIC AND ENGINEERING ACAD AND SOC. pp. 102 - 107. ISSN: 1790-5109
- Counsell, S. (2008) 'Is the need to follow chains a possible deterrent to certain refactorings and an inducement to others?'.2nd International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science (RCIS 2008). Marrakech, Morocco. 3 - 6 June. IEEE. pp. 111 - 122.
- Counsell, S., Hierons, RM. and Loizou, G. (2007) 'A meta-analysis approach to refactoring and XP'.5th IEEE/ACS International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications. Amman, JORDAN. IEEE. pp. 67 - 75. ISSN: 2161-5322
- Counsell, S. and Mendes, E. (2007) 'Size and frequency of class change from a refactoring perspective'.3rd International IEEE Workshop on Software Evolvability. Paris, FRANCE. IEEE COMPUTER SOC. pp. 23 - 28.
- Advani, D., Hassoun, Y. and Counsell, S. (2006) 'Understanding the complexity of refactoring in software systems: a tool-based approach'. International Journal of General Systems, 35 (3). pp. 329 - 346. ISSN: 0308-1079
- Black, S., Counsell, S., Hall, T. and Wernick, P. (2006) 'Using program slicing to identify faults in software'.Dagstuhl Seminar Proceedings. Beyond Program Slicing.
- Counsell, S., Hierons, RM., Najjar, R., Loizou, G. and Hassoun, Y. (2006) 'The effectiveness of refactoring, based on a compatibility testing taxonomy and a dependency graph'.1st Testing - Academic and Industrial Conference. Windsor, ENGLAND. IEEE. pp. 181 - 190.
- Counsell, S., Newson, P. and Mendes, E. (2004) 'Design level hypothesis testing through reverse engineering of object-oriented software'. International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 14 (2). pp. 207 - 220. ISSN: 0218-1940
- Counsell, S., Swift, S. and Tucker, A. (2001) 'An empirical investigation into the interpretation of faults in requirements documents'.The Empirical Assessment in Software Engineering (EASE-2001). [unpublished]