About Social Media
The promise of social media as a resource and topic of social science research is tantalising, it is widely recognised that this dynamic field may have much to offer. Our research focuses on tackling the challenges related to social media content analysis, part of what some refer to as 'the big data challenge', through the use of rich arrays of algorithmic solutions, libraries and tools designed for mining big social datasets - investigating specific problems such as scale, noise and sparsity associated with new social data such as micro-blogs.
- Smith, LGE., Wakeford, L., Cribbin, TF., Barnett, J. and Hou, WK. (2020) 'Detecting psychological change through mobilizing interactions and changes in extremist linguistic style'. Computers in Human Behavior, 108. pp. 106298 - 106298.
- Zhu, Y., Guntuku, SC., Lin, W., Ghinea, G. and Redi, JA. (2018) 'Measuring individual video QoE: A survey, and proposal for future directions using social media'. ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, 14 (2s). pp. 1 - 24. ISSN: 1551-6857
- Brooker, P., Barnett, J. and Cribbin, TF. (2016) 'Doing social media analytics'. Big Data & Society, 3 (2). pp. 205395171665806 - 205395171665806. ISSN: 2053-9517
- Brooker, P., Barnett, J., Cribbin, T. and Sharma, S. (2016) 'Have we even solved the first 'big data challenge?' Practical issues concerning data collection and visual representation for social media analytics', in Snee, H., Hine, C., Morey, Y., Roberts, S. and Watson, H. (eds.) Digital Methods for Social Science: An Interdisciplinary Guide to Research Innovation. London : Palgrave. ISBN 13: 9781137453655.
- Beretta, V., Cribbin, TF., Maccagnola, D. and Messina, E. (2015) 'An interactive method for inferring demographic attributes in Twitter'.26th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media (Hypertext 2015). Guzelyurt, Northern Cyprus. 24 - 4 September. ACM Press. pp. 113 - 122.
- Brooker, P., Barnett, J., Cribbin, TF., Lang, A. and Martin, J. (2014) 'User-driven Data Capture: Locating and Analysing Twitter Conversation about Cystic Fibrosis without Keywords', inSAGE Research Methods Cases. London : Sage Publications Ltd.
- Fagerstrøm, A. and Ghinea, G. (2011) 'Co-creation of value through social network marketing: A field experiment using a facebook campaign to increase conversion rate'. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 6772 LNCS (PART 2). pp. 229 - 235. ISSN: 0302-9743