Anne Chappell is the Director of Teaching and Learning in the Department of Education. Anne has been at Brunel University London in the Department of Education since 2004 and teaches on undergraduate and postgraduate education programmes, including Initial Teacher Education. Prior to this she worked in several secondary schools in London and the South-East of England with roles including Head of Year and Head of Physical Education. She studied Education, Physical Education and Science at West Sussex Institute of Higher Education, before completing a Master’s in Education at the University of Southampton and a PhD at Brunel University London. Her research interests are in education, policy, professionals, narrative methodologies and ethical exploration and representation. She is currently undertaking research with Undergraduate students; Newly and Recently Qualified Teachers; and is the university coordinator for the EU funded “Universities Supporting Victims of Sexual Violence: Training for Sustainable Student Services (USVSV)” project.
- Director of teaching and learning in the Department of Education;
- Exams convenor in the Department of Education;
- Leader for ‘Professional Formation’ research cluster in the College of Business, Arts and Social Science;
Coordinator for “Universities Supporting Victims of Sexual Violence: Training for Sustainable Student Services (USVSV)” at Brunel University London.
University Responsibilities and Committee Membership
- Academic Practice and Professional Excellence Recognition Panel member (BEEC);
- College Education Committee member;
- Digital Assessment Working Group member;
- Education Enhancement Committee member;
- Gender Mentoring Scheme mentor;
- Mitigating Circumstances Working Group member;
- Qualitative Research Methods PGR Workshop Series convener;
- Safeguarding Officer;
- Safeguarding, Children and Vulnerable Groups Committee member;
- Senate elected member;
YourView Steering Group member.
- University of Limerick: External Examiner for BSc Physical Education;
- Kingston University London: External Examiner for PGCE Secondary Humanities and Physical Education;
- British Sociological Association Auto/Biography Study Group convenor;
- Association for Physical Education (afPE) Research Committee;
- Reviewer for Gender and Education, European Physical Education Review and Physical Education Matters.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA);
- British Sociological Association (BSA);
- BSA Auto/Biography Study Group (BSA A/B);
- Centre for Narrative Research (CNR);
- Association for Physical Education (afPE);
- Gender and Education Association (GEA);
- British Education Research Association (BERA);
- Universities Against Gender Based Violence network (UAGBV);
- London Physical Education Teacher Education Forum.
- Ministry of Education in Cyprus: enhance of the delivery of Physical Education through a continuing professional development programme for 180 generalist primary school teachers in Cyprus (2004-2005).
Newest selected publications
Chappell, A., Ernest, P., Ludhra, G. and Mendick, H. (2016) 'Explorations in knowing: thinking psychosocially about institutional and methodological legitimacy', in Lapping, C. and Bibby, T. (eds.) Knowing and not knowing: thinking psychosocially about learning and resistance to learning. Routledge. ISBN 13: 978-1138648111.
Chappell, A. (2015) 'Teaching safely and safety in PE', in Capel, SA. and Whitehead, M. (eds.) Learning to Teach Physical Education in the Secondary School: A companion to school experience. Abingdon : Routledge. pp. 184 - 283. ISBN 10: 1138785997. ISBN 13: 978-1138785991.
Chappell, A., Ernest, P., Ludhra, G. and Mendick, H. (2014) 'Explorations in knowing: thinking psychosocially about legitimacy'. Pedagogy, Culture and Society. ISSN: 1468-1366 Open Access Link
Chappell, A. (2013) 'Safe practice, risk assessment and risk management', in Capel, SA. and Breckon, P. (eds.) A practical guide to teaching physical education in the secondary school. Abingdon : Routledge. ISBN 10: 0415814820. ISBN 13: 978-0415814829.
Ludhra, G. and Chappell, A. (2011) ''You were quiet - I did all the marching': research processes involved in hearing the voices of South Asian girls'. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth, 16 (2). pp. 101 - 118. ISSN: 0267-3843 Open Access Link