Professor Mark Atherton
Honorary Professor - MAE
Howell Building 113
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 266690
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
Mark is now an Honorary Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, previously being full Professor of Mechanical Engineering Design. He is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. He has developed industrial products and manufacturing systems, including dental drill noise reduction (Dental drill noise reduction device), robotic servicing of trains (Lab-based prototype for automated train fluid servicing) and design tools for invention (On-line tool to intelligently interpret design information contained in patents). Mark taught engineering design and design optimisation.
- BSc(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering from Aston University, Birmingham.
- MSc/DIC in Industrial Robotics and Manufacturing Automation from Imperial College, London.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering Design from City University, London.
- Industrial experience: apprenticeship with Rubery Owen, followed by engineering positions with Driver Southall (GEC), Otis Elevator, and Redland Engineering.
- Academic posts at London South Bank University and Brunel University London, plus visiting professor at Tokyo Univeristy of Science and Univeristy of Modena.
- Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
Responsibilities before Mark ceased to be a full-time professor in the department included:
- Chair, Industrial Advisory Panel, Dept of Mechanical and Aersopace Engineering, 2019-2021.
- Theme Leader - Design for Sustainable Manufacture, Institute of Materials and Manufacturing, 2018-2020.
- Deputy Head of Mechanical Engineering department, 2007-2009.
- Director of University Research Centre for Engineering Dynamics, 2010-2012.
- Course Director of BEng/MEng Mechanical Engineering plus derivatives, MACE, 2007-2014.
- Chair, Engineering Applications Panel, MACE, 2005-2014.
- Chair, Exam Boards for MA courses, Brunel Design, 2005-2009.
- CEDPS Academic Lead for proposed new DEC building, 2016-2017.
- Mech Eng Academic Development Group, curriculum development, MACE, 2009-2014.
- Champion of Made in Brunel for Mechanical Engineering, MACE, 2007-2015.
- Level 3 Tutor, MACE, 2014-2015.
- School of Engineering and Design Research Committee, BUL, 2012-2014.
- Open Days and Applicant Days speaker, Mechanical Engineering, 2005-2015.
- University Space Management Framework Working Group, BUL, 2010
Newest selected publications
Sorce, S., Malizia, A., Gentile, V., Jiang, P., Atherton, M. and Harrison, D. (2021) 'Evaluation of a Visual Tool for Early Patent Infringement Detection During Design'.7th International Symposium on End-User Development (IS-EUD 2019). University of Hertfordshire. 10 - 12 July. Springer International Publishing. pp. 166 - 173. ISSN: 0302-9743 Open Access Link
Jiang, P. and Atherton, M. (2021) 'A multi-objective approach for improving real-time audio peak reduction and speech clarity in a dental drill noise reduction device'. Journal of Engineering, 0.Open Access Link
Jiang, P. and Atherton, M. (2019) 'Additive Manufacture of passive acoustic filters: a feasibility study'.Rapid Design Prototyping and Manufacturing 16th Conference. Brunel University London.Open Access Link
Almurshedi, A., Atherton, M., Mares, C. and Stolarski, T. (2019) 'Modelling Influence of Poisson's Contraction on Squeeze Film Levitation of Planar Objects'. Journal of Applied Physics, 125 (9). pp. 095303 - 095303. ISSN: 0021-8979 Open Access Link
Atherton, M., Hill, S., Harrison, D. and Ajovalsit, M. (2019) 'Economic and Technical Feasibility of a Robotic Autonomous System for Train Fluid Servicing'. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 234 (3). pp. 1 - 13. ISSN: 0954-4097 Open Access Link