Professor Mark Atherton
Howell Building 113
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 266690
Mark is Professor of Design Engineering in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, and Theme Leader of Design for Sustainable Manufacture in the Institute of Materials and Manufacturing. He is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. He has developed industrial products and manufacturing systems, and is currently working with industrial organisations on dental drill noise reduction, robotic servicing of trains and design tools for invention. Mark teaches engineering design and design optimisation.
- BSc(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering from Aston University, Birmingham.
- MSc/DIC in Industrial Robotics and Manufacturing Automation from Imperial College, London.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering Design from City University, London.
- Industrial experience: apprenticeship with Rubery Owen, followed by engineering positions with Driver Southall (GEC), Otis Elevator, and Redland Engineering.
- Academic posts at London South Bank University and Brunel University London, plus visiting professor at Tokyo Univeristy of Science and Univeristy of Modena.
- Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Theme Leader - Design for Sustainable Manufacture, Institute of Materials and Manufacturing.
- Leader of Mech Eng Design Engineering curriculum development, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- Chair, Industrial Advisory Panel, Dept of Mechanical and Aersopace Engineering
- ME2603 Design and Analysis of Mechanical Systems and Components, Module Leader.
- ME5314 Advanced Modelling and Design, Module Leader.
- ME5542 Advanced Modelling and Design, Module Leader.
- Deputy Head of Mechanical Engineering department, 2007-2009.
- Director of University Research Centre for Engineering Dynamics, 2010-2012.
- Course Director of BEng/MEng Mechanical Engineering plus derivatives, MACE, 2007-2014.
- Chairman of Engineering Applications Panel, MACE, 2005-2014.
- Chairman of Exam Boards for MA courses, Brunel Design, 2005-2009.
- CEDPS Academic Lead for proposed new DEC building, 2016-2017.
- Mech Eng Academic Development Group, curriculum development, MACE, 2009-2014.
- Champion of Made in Brunel for Mechanical Engineering, MACE, 2007-2015.
- Level 3 Tutor, MACE, 2014-2015.
- School of Engineering and Design Research Committee, BUL, 2012-2014.
- Open Days and Applicant Days speaker, Mechanical Engineering, 2005-2015.
- University Space Management Framework Working Group, BUL, 2010
Newest selected publications
Jiang, P. and Atherton, M. (2019) 'Additive Manufacture of passive acoustic filters: a feasibility study'.Rapid Design Prototyping and Manufacturing 16th Conference. Brunel University London.Open Access Link
Almurshedi, A., Atherton, M., Mares, C. and Stolarski, T. (2019) 'Modelling Influence of Poisson's Contraction on Squeeze Film Levitation of Planar Objects'. Journal of Applied Physics, 125 (9). pp. 095303 - 095303. ISSN: 0021-8979 Open Access Link
Atherton, M., Hill, S., Harrison, D. and Ajovalsit, M. (2019) 'Economic and Technical Feasibility of a Robotic Autonomous System for Train Fluid Servicing'. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit. pp. 095440971983052 - 095440971983052. ISSN: 0954-4097 Open Access Link
Sorce, S., Malizia, A., Gentile, V., Jiang, P., Atherton, M. and Harrison, D. (2019) 'Evaluation of a Visual Tool for Early Patent Infringement Detection During Design'.7th International Symposium on End-User Development (IS-EUD 2019). University of Hertfordshire. 1 - 12 July. Springer International Publishing. pp. 166 - 173. ISSN: 0302-9743 Open Access Link
Jiang, P., Atherton, M., Sorce, S., Harrison, D. and Malizia, A. (2018) 'Design for Invention: A framework for identifying emerging design-prior art conflict'. Journal of Engineering Design, 29 (10). pp. 596 - 615. ISSN: 0954-4828 Open Access Link