PhD research student applications are welcomed by the IMS Research Group all year round. Research students are valued members of our thriving, research-intensive team. We are particularly interested in supervising students' research in any of the broad range of topics listed above. Please note that the topic list is not exhaustive, so feel free to contact a member of IMS with your ideas.
Some candidate PhD topics that group members are interested in supervising in the future may include, but are not limited to:
- Delivering Student Centred Learning via Collaborative Digital Game-based applications.
- Robot-Human Interaction
- Virtual and mediated realities in Health care
- Depth sensing technologies for automated falls prevention interventions and assistive equipment prescription.
- 3D visualisation technologies to support clinicians and patients in carrying out falls prevention interventions
- Physiological response based video summarisation
- Multisensorial media-cues in e-learning.
- Designing Web Content for Enhanced User Experience on an Internet-Connected Television Device
- Olfactory-Enhanced Multimedia: A User’s Perspective
- Self-beliefs in the Introductory Programming Lab and Game-based Fantasy Role Play
- Improving patient education of falls risks via intelligent ‘human-like’ 3D gaming applications.
- Sensor-based video summarisation
- Delivering Student-Centred Learning education via intelligent gaming applications.
- Exploring the value of intelligent robot-based assessments compared with traditional human-based assessment methods in higher education.
See below a list of available PhD projects in Computer Science that includes projects in our area:
Geometric deep learning
Deep learning has had tremendous success in a variety of applications. Nevertheless, many data don’t follow a euclidean underlying structure: for example social networks, sensor networks, types of bra...
Machine learning for biometric identification
Biometric identification aims to recognize people's identity through the use of signals or images from which one can extract features that are distinctive to each person. This PhD project will focus o...
Designing interactions with digital money
The PhD will explore how people use and interact with money to explore how digital systems can be designed for more effective and suitable purposes. This topic could cover consumer payment systems, pe...