Skip to main content

Postgraduate Doctoral Loans

A Postgraduate Doctoral Loan can help with course fees and living costs whilst you study a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD.

If you are an English or an EU student who meets the criteria , you can apply for funding for doctoral programmes.  If you are a student from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland you should contact your relevant local funding authority for guidance on what funding is available, if any.

The amount you receive is not based on your income or your family’s. Please note that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may take account of the loan when working out any benefits you receive. The loan is paid directly to you. You can use it for your course fees and living costs. You can apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan in any year of your course. But if you apply after your first year, you might not get the maximum amount of loan. 

The loan is a contribution towards the cost of your study at Brunel University London, and you can choose whether you put this towards your tuition fees or living costs or both. You should also have other funding in place to cover your course and living costs for the duration of your entire course.