PhD student loans
The UK Government has recently introduced PhD Doctoral loans for UK and EU students residing in England for postgraduate research programmes. The loans are up to £25,000 and will not be means tested. Here is some information at a glance. The PhD loan will:
- provide a contribution to the costs of study rather than covering the full fees and living costs of a student,
- be paid directly to the student,
- involve a single repayment of 6% above the income threshold (currently £21,000) to cover the combined balance of any postgraduate masters and postgraduate doctoral loan.
The PhD loans are available:
- to UK and EU nationals, residing in England, under the age of 59
- for full time or part time study lasting no more than 8 years
- for any subject
Read more about the Postgraduate doctoral loans on the Gov.UK website. Read the Postgraduate Doctoral Loans factsheet here.