Students are admitted to an environment which provides support for doing and learning about research and where excellent research is occurring.
Examples of recognition of this include the University holding a European Commission HR Excellence in Research award for its commitment to supporting researchers, and the Athena SWAN Bronze Award for its efforts to promote the equal representation of women in science-related subjects. More information can be found here.
The University provides research students with access to a safe environment in which to work including the following:
- the use of a desk and networked computer with bespoke software and 24 hour access in areas designated as being for PGR students/staff only.
- a telephone with an external line for study purposes only (if necessary international calls will be possible but this will be determined by the nature of the research);
- storage – for example lockers/shelving/filing space, within easy access of desks/computers
- pigeonhole/tray for students to receive internal and external mail
- access to printer and photocopier including colour printer/photocopier with free black and white photocopying and printing as required to support their work
- access to video conferencing facilities/software
- equipment, laboratory space, consumables and access to the services of a technician dependent on discipline/focus of research.
- Health and Safety equipment, as required for the research
- the opportunity to apply for financial support towards conference attendance
- social space dedicated to research students
- Graduate School facilities
Brunel's library is open 24 hours a day, has 400,000 books and 250,000 e-books, and an annual budget of almost £2m. Subject Information Specialists train students in the latest technology, digital literacy, and digital dissemination of scholarly outputs.
- state-of-the-art research information management tools including a research publication and grant database
- one of the largest UK’s full text repository
- an integrated data management system
- analytical tools such as Altmertic and InCites
- Open Access centrally managed fund
Specialist equipment and facilities
Each department will have access to high-spec research facilities and equipment available to researchers to enable them to conduct internationally leading research. You can find out more about this from your supervisor who may give you access when required.
Read more about other specialist research facilities here.