This specialist degree focuses on brand management issues facing organisations and their related corporate identity, image and reputation. The programme includes the option of 6-12 weeks professional practice between May and September.
(Previously known as Applied Corporate Brand Management MSc)
About the course
Corporate Brand Management MSc has a specialist focus on corporate branding, but also examines the importance of product and services branding. At the corporate brand level you will study a wide-range of corporate brands from a variety of sectors (private, public, and not-for-profit) including company start-ups, SMEs, multi-nationals and across sectors and cultures. Significantly, you will also study how corporate branding is a key facet of an organisation’s overall corporate marketing strategy.
Brunel Business School enjoys a global reputation in the corporate brand field and was the first school to introduce a specialised MSc in corporate brand management in 2007. Corporate Brand Management MSc is taught by an enthusiastic team of scholars including pioneering corporate brand specialist, Professor John M.T. Balmer, who is commonly regarded as the “father” of the corporate brand domain, along with the renowned corporate brand scholar Dr Sharifah Alwi, and others, including brand specialist Dr Michael Heller.
Topics covered on the degree include corporate and product brand identity, corporate and product brand image and reputation, corporate marketing, and corporate communications. You will also study marketing communications and strategy from a corporate branding perspective.
“I found the coursework especially interesting since it often involved a real company to apply the concepts and theoretical frameworks on. The placement on my course was a fantastic experience. I was able to apply the things I learned and gained international experience for my CV.”
"My favourite modules were the ones that involved group work - where we applied theoretical classwork to real industry problems across a variety of corporate brands, such as healthcare brands and luxury brands. We also got to present this work infront of real industry people."
The aim of this programme is to provide you with a sound knowledge and understanding of the theories that underpin corporate brand management and to help equip you with practical skills and tools to apply corporate brand management in practice.
In particular, the programme will:-
- Offer frameworks for understanding issues related to marketing at the corporate level (including corporate communications, corporate branding, corporate identity, corporate image and corporate reputation)
- Provide an in-depth understanding of the implementation issues associated with the development of the corporate marketing mix
- Help prepare you for employment by developing a sound understanding of corporate level branding in context
- Help equip you with a strong foundation and professional skills for advancing into academic research or professional practice in the corporate branding field
Contact our Enquiries team.
Course Enquiries: +44 (0)1895 265599 (before you submit an application)
Admissions Office: +44 (0)1895 265265 (after you submit an application)
- Applied Corporate Branding
- Strategic Corporate Marketing
- Strategic Corporate Brand Management and Consulting
- Contemporary Brand Management
- Marketing Communications
- Understanding Business and Management Research
Optional, choose two from:-
- International Management
- Global Diversity Management
- International Business Ethics and Corporate Governance
- Consumer Behaviour
Read more about the structure of postgraduate degrees at Brunel
and what you will learn on the course.
During the programme, you will enjoy guest speakers and feedback from industry leaders including brand consultancies.
Brunel Business School also offers a student professional development programme called Business Life, designed to help you build soft skills and technical training in preparation for the world of work, and to manage your career search and development more effectively. Sessions are optional and run outside of the academic programme.
As part of Business Life, you will enjoy an Executive Speaker Series where global business leaders will share their stories, expertise and thoughts on creating and capturing sustainable value for competitiveness. Previous events have included an evening with Change Maker: Peter Budd of the International Civil Aviation Organization.
Graduates of this degree can look forward to a wide range of career opportunities within a variety of sectors. In particular this degree will help prepare you for roles in:-
- Brand Management
- Brand Marketing
- Corporate Communications
- Advertising and PR
Graduates of this degree have gone on to work in a variety organisations:-
- British Airways
- London Borough of Harrow (Local Council)
- Amer Sports
- Street Market Ltd
- Radley Yeldar
- Brand Union
- McCann Ericson
- Grey Group
- The Daily Mail Group
A postgraduate placement is an excellent way to put what you have learned on your degree into practice and to add valuable degree-related work experience to your CV – there’s always something additional to learn if you’ve worked before.
A placement can also be a source of ideas for your dissertation.
The placement option on Corporate Brand Management lasts for 6-12 weeks between the last week of May and the second half of September and some employers may provide a salary.
Previous students of this degree have achieved placements at various organisations that include the following names, however, placement opportunities vary from year to year.
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that you will secure a placement, and the responsibility for finding one is yours, however, our Professional development Centre (PDC) offer plenty of services and support to help you produce the best application possible.
If you are unsuccessful in securing a placement you will not be charged a placement fee.
If you are applying for a work visa, scholarship or government funding, and think you would like to do a placement, it is always best to apply for longer programme length with placement from the outset.
Previous placement employers have included
- Heathrow Airport
- Telefónica Europe
- Radley Yeldar
- Jim Northover Limited
- Network Rail
- Right Management
- Tata Beverages
- Tetley Tea
At Brunel we provide many opportunities and experiences within your degree programme and beyond – work-based learning, professional support services, volunteering, mentoring, sports, arts, clubs, societies, and much, much more – and we encourage you to make the most of them, so that you can make the most of yourself.
» More about Employability
Entry criteria 2018/19
A 2:2 (or above) UK Honours degree or an equivalent internationally recognised qualification, in a related or non-related subject. Work experience will not be required.
Applicants with a 3rd class UK Honours degree, or an equivalent internationally recognised qualification, will be considered if they can demonstrate a minimum of two years full-time,post qualification, work experience in Marketing and Branding, at a senior level.
Entry criteria are subject to review and change each academic year.
International and EU entry requirements
If your country or institution is not listed or if you are not sure whether your institution is eligible, please contact Admissions
This information is for guidance only by Brunel University London and by meeting the academic requirements does not guarantee entry for our courses as applications are assessed on case-by-case basis.
English language requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (min 6 in all areas)
- Pearson: 58 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 65% (min 60% in all areas)
You can find out more about the qualifications we accept on our English Language Requirements page.
If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, you must prove knowledge of the English language so that we can issue you a Certificate of Acceptance for Study (CAS). To do this, you will need an IELTS for UKVI or Trinity SELT test pass gained from a test centre approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and on the Secure English Language Testing (SELT) list. This must have been taken and passed within two years from the date the CAS is made.
Should you wish to take a pre-sessional English course to improve your English prior to starting your degree course, you must sit the test at an approved SELT provider for the same reason.
We offer our own BrunELT English Test and have pre-sessional English language courses for students who do not meet requirements or who wish to improve their English. You can find out more information on English courses and test options at the Brunel Language Centre.
The Pre-Masters course has been designed to prepare international students who have not qualified for direct entry to Brunel University London's Master's degrees. Undertaking a Pre-Master's course will give you time to adjust to the rigorous research and independent study requirements of a postgraduate degree. This will ensure you get the most out of your master's studies at Brunel University London and go on to achieve graduation in your chosen field. See details.
Teaching and learning
A particular feature of the course is the use of case studies to contextualise contemporary theory and practice. Class presentations offer the opportunity to gain valuable presentation experience as you apply theory to practice.
Academic Staff who teach on the course include:
Professor John Balmer
Professor of Corporate Brand Management and Director of the Marketing and Corporate Brand Research Group (MCBM)
Dr Sharifah Alwi
Programme Director and Senior Lecturer in Corporate Brand Management.
Dr Michael Heller
Senior Lecturer in Marketing
Dr Marcia Ferreira
Lecturer in Marketing and Operations
Assessment and feedback
- Modules are typically assessed by individual assessment and an examination in May
- Teaching methods include lectures and informal small study groups
- Coursework and examinations place considerable emphasis on the ability to think and reason critically, but constructively
- The dissertation (12,000 words) is the capstone demonstration of these skills, requiring students to conceive, justify, design and execute a major project
- Individual and/or group presentations using laptops, PCs and digital projectors
- One of the few corporate brand focused masters in the UK
- Taught by internationally renowned corporate brand scholar, Professor John Balmer
- Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing with the option to study a CIM Certificate or Diploma alongside your degree
- The option of 6-12 weeks professional practice between May and September
- Guest speakers and feedback from industry leaders including brand consultancies
- Access to Brunel’s student employability programme, Business Life, to help you develop a range of employability and networking skills
- The University’s London location facilitates industry focussed visits to places like the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising
- Become part of a dynamic Business School ranked within the top 100 Business Schools in Europe (FT European Business Schools 2017)
- Brunel Business School is accredited by AACSB, less than 5% of the worlds’ business school carry this accolade
Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) with the option to study for a CIM Certificate or Diploma alongside your degree (additional fees will be apply)
Fees and funding
Fees for 2018/19 entry
Additional course related costs
UK/EU students can opt to pay in six equal monthly instalments: the first instalment is payable on enrolment and the remaining five by Direct Debit or credit/debit card.
Overseas students can opt to pay in two instalments: 60% on enrolment, and 40% in January for students who commence their course in September (or the remaining 40% in March for selected courses that start in January).