Brunel Law School is working with the university's widening participation initiative to pilot a law-specific professional mentoring programme.
In the 2022/2023 academic year, law students have the opportunity to connect with legal practitioners, many of whom are Brunel alumni.
The mentors have volunteered to pass on their knowledge to the next generation of Brunel legal professionals, and work on a one-to-one basis with an assigned student.
The mentoring scheme runs throughout the year, with mentors and mentees meeting at least once a month. Their meetings generally take place within the mentor's place of work, giving law students an insight into professional life.
An incredibly valuable programme for students who are scoping out their future career, the professional mentoring programme will give them the following:
- The opportunity to learn more about the mentor's area of practice
- An insight into the legal profession
- The potential to meet and network with other lawyers in the organisation
- Guidance on how to achieve their career aspirations
- Feedback on their CV, cover letters and graduate applications, and mock interviews