Summer Internship with The Environment Agency
In 2016, Brunel University London formed a partnership with The Environment Agency (EA) committed to offering work-based opportunities to students, allowing them to develop as individuals and global citizens.
The EA summer placements give students the opportunity to tackle ongoing environmental challenges and equips them with up-to-date, relevant understanding, knowledge and skills for the workplace.
The Environment Agency are seeking future employees who can be champions for the environment, building a talented pipeline of candidates to potentially join the business, following the placement.
- 3 month paid placement
- June-August 2020
- Flexibility in working hours
Each placement provides the opportunity to learn about the business and to:
- Work alongside professionals and gain hands-on industry experience
- Gain insight into existing projects, environmental concerns, development and sustainability, as well as policies
- Contribute to ongoing projects
- Network and learn from field experts
- Understand how to use your studies effectively in the real world
Vacancies for 2020 Summer Placements include:
- Asset Performance Officer
- Environment Assistant
- Engagement Assistant
- Waterways Officer
- Flood and Coastal Risk Management Officer
- Customers and Engagement Assistant (Marketing)
- Planning Officer
- Environmental Monitoring Assistant
- Environment Planning and Engagement Officer
- Project Support Officer
- Approximately 20% of students who take part in this scheme return as employees, with 12 students, to date who are now members of staff.
- 3 students returned for 2 consecutive internship, joining into a new team and role each time.
- Out of these 3 students, 2 currently work within the organisation, proving valuable assets having gained specific and relevant knowledge during the summer placement.
- For others, the internships provide clarity in dissertation topics, as well as what they would like to do after university.
I was able to learn more in-depth, and see how things I was learning in my course actually look in the real world.
My time at The EA exposed me to all the latest developments within policy and still informs me within my current role.
The EA really make sure that you are getting the most out of the placement and encourage you to do things that you wouldn't normally do.
The advice and support that Stefania from the PDC gave me for my application, I was able to use externally and in my current job searching.