Dr Abiy S. Kebede
Lecturer in Flood and Coastal Engineering
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 268183
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
Dr. Abiy S. Kebede is a Lecturer in Flood and Coastal Engineering within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences at Brunel University London. Prior to joining Brunel, Abiy worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Southampton, where he also did his PhD. His research focuses on assessing the potential impacts of climate change, sea-level rise and associated flood risk in the coastal zone and the benefits of adaptation at different spatial (from local to global) and temporal (from short- to long-term) scales for informing robust adaptation policies. His work explores the following key research questions:
- What are the physical, socio-economic and environmental impacts of climate change and sea-level rise in coastal areas and deltas?
- What are the implications of historic coastal landfills on shoreline management planning?
- What are the direct and indirect impacts and associated uncertainties of future changes in climate and socio-economic conditions?
- How can we devise robust adaptation policies across multiple sectors and scales?
- Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Southampton (United Kingdom), 2016
- M.Sc. in Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management (Specialisation: Environment and Management), University of Southampton (United Kingdom), 2009
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management), Delft University of Technology (The Netherlands), 2008
- M.Sc. in Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Norway), 2007
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Mekelle University (Ethiopia), 2003
- 2018 – Present: Lecturer, Brunel University London (United Kingdom)
- 2016 – 2018: Research Fellow, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2015 – 2016: Senior Research Assistant, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2012 – 2015: Teaching Assistant, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2011 – 2016: PhD Researcher, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2009 – 2011: Research Assistant, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2004 – 2007: Assistant Lecturer, Arba Minch University (Ethiopia)
- 2003 – 2004: Graduate Assistant, Arba Minch University (Ethiopia)
Newest selected publications
Beaven, RP., Stringfellow, AM., Nicholls, RJ., Haigh, ID., Kebede, AS. and Watts, J. (2020) 'Future challenges of coastal landfills exacerbated by sea level rise'. Waste Management, 105. pp. 92 - 101. ISSN: 0956-053X Open Access Link
Lázár, AN., Hanson, SE., Nicholls, RJ., Allan, A., Hutton, CW., Salehin, M. and (2019) 'Choices: Future Trade-Offs and Plausible Pathways', in Nicholls, RJ., Adger, WN., Hutton, CW. and Hanson, SE. (eds.) Deltas in the Anthropocene. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. pp. 223 - 245.Open Access Linket al.
Kebede, AS., Nicholls, RJ., Allan, A., Arto, I., Cazcarro, I., Fernandes, JA., (2018) 'Applying the global RCP–SSP–SPA scenario framework at sub-national scale: A multi-scale and participatory scenario approach'. Science of The Total Environment, 635. pp. 659 - 672. ISSN: 0048-9697 Open Access Linket al.
Suckall, N., Tompkins, EL., Nicholls, RJ., Kebede, AS., Lázár, AN., Hutton, C., (2018) 'A framework for identifying and selecting long term adaptation policy directions for deltas'. Science of The Total Environment, 633. pp. 946 - 957. ISSN: 0048-9697 Open Access Linket al.
Beaven, RP., Stringfellow, A., Nicholls, RJ., Haigh, I., Kebede, A. and Watts, J. (2017) 'The impact of coastal landfills on shoreline management plans'.Sardinia 2017 Proceedings / 16th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium. S. Margherita di Pula, Cagliari, Italy. 15 - 6 October.Open Access Link