Dr Abiy S. Kebede
Lecturer in Flood and Coastal Engineering
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 268183
Dr. Abiy S. Kebede is a Lecturer in Flood and Coastal Engineering within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences at Brunel University London. Prior to joining Brunel, Abiy worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Southampton, where he also did his PhD. His research focuses on assessing the potential impacts of climate change, sea-level rise and associated flood risk in the coastal zone and the benefits of adaptation at different spatial (from local to global) and temporal (from short- to long-term) scales for informing robust adaptation policies. His work explores the following key research questions:
- What are the physical, socio-economic and environmental impacts of climate change and sea-level rise in coastal areas and deltas?
- What are the implications of historic coastal landfills on shoreline management planning?
- What are the direct and indirect impacts and associated uncertainties of future changes in climate and socio-economic conditions?
- How can we devise robust adaptation policies across multiple sectors and scales?
- Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Southampton (United Kingdom), 2016
- M.Sc. in Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management (Specialisation: Environment and Management), University of Southampton (United Kingdom), 2009
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering (Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management), Delft University of Technology (The Netherlands), 2008
- M.Sc. in Coastal and Marine Engineering and Management, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Norway), 2007
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, Mekelle University (Ethiopia), 2003
- 2018 – Present: Lecturer, Brunel University London (United Kingdom)
- 2016 – 2018: Research Fellow, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2015 – 2016: Senior Research Assistant, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2012 – 2015: Teaching Assistant, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2011 – 2016: PhD Researcher, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2009 – 2011: Research Assistant, University of Southampton (United Kingdom)
- 2004 – 2007: Assistant Lecturer, Arba Minch University (Ethiopia)
- 2003 – 2004: Graduate Assistant, Arba Minch University (Ethiopia)
Newest selected publications
Kebede, AS., Nicholls, RJ., Allan, A., Arto, I., Cazcarro, I., Fernandes, JA., (2018) 'Applying the global RCP–SSP–SPA scenario framework at sub-national scale: A multi-scale and participatory scenario approach'. Science of The Total Environment, 635. pp. 659 - 672. ISSN: 0048-9697 Open Access Linket al.
Suckall, N., Tompkins, EL., Nicholls, RJ., Kebede, AS., Lázár, AN., Hutton, C., (2018) 'A framework for identifying and selecting long term adaptation policy directions for deltas'. Science of The Total Environment, 633. pp. 946 - 957. ISSN: 0048-9697 Open Access Linket al.
Mokrech, M., Kebede, AS. and Nicholls,, RJ. (2016) 'Assessing flood impacts, wetland changes and climate adaptation in Europe: the CLIMSAVE approach', in Gray, S., Paolisso, M., Jordan, R. and Gray, S. (eds.) Environmental Modeling with Stakeholders: Theory, Methods and Applications. Springer, Cham. pp. 327 - 344. ISBN 13: 9783319250519.
Kebede, AS., Dunford, R., Mokrech, M., Audsley, E., Harrison, PA., Holman, IP., (2015) 'Direct and indirect impacts of climate and socio-economic change in Europe: a sensitivity analysis for key land- and water-based sectors'. Climatic Change, 128 (3-4). pp. 261 - 277. ISSN: 0165-0009et al.
Mokrech, M., Kebede, AS., Nicholls, RJ., Wimmer, F. and Feyen, L. (2015) 'An integrated approach for assessing flood impacts due to future climate and socio-economic conditions and the scope of adaptation in Europe'. Climatic Change, 128 (3-4). pp. 245 - 260. ISSN: 0165-0009