Dr Abiy S. Kebede
Lecturer in Flood and Coastal Engineering
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 268183
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
- Climate change and coasts
- Impacts of sea-level rise and extreme events
- Issues of coastal landfills and shoreline management planning
- Coastal management and adaptation to future changes
- The food-water-land-ecosystems nexus and sustainability
- Robustness of adaptation policies across sectors, scales, and scenarios
- Geospatial data analytics, modelling, and visualisation
Research grants and projects
- IUCN Global EbA Fund (Project: Upscaling Mangrove Restoration for Coastal Hazard Reduction in a Deltaic Environment: Prioritizing Restoration Efforts for Nature-based Solutions in the Volta Delta) (2023–2026).
- EPSRC DTP PhD Studentship (Project: Assessing Unintended Consequences of Structural Coastal Flood Protection: Implications for Resilient and Sustainable Built Environment) (2021–2023).
- DECCMA (Deltas, Vulnerability and Climate Change: Migrations and Adaptation), Collaborative Adaptation Research Initiative in Africa and Asia (CARIAA) funded by UK Government’s Department for International Development (DfID) and International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Canada (2014–2018).
- NERC ERIIP (Coastal landfills and shoreline management: Implications for coastal adaptation infrastructure), funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) under the Environmental Risk to Infrastructure Innovation Programme (ERIIP) (2016–2017).
- AVOID2 (Can we avoid dangerous climate change?), funded by the UK Government’s Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC), Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) (2014–2016).
- RISES-AM (Responses to coastal climate change: Innovative Strategies for high End Scenarios – Adaptation and Mitigation), funded under the European Commission Seventh Framework Programme (2013–2016).
- CLIMSAVE (climate change integrated assessment methodology for cross-sectoral adaptation and vulnerability in Europe), funded under the European Commission Seventh Framework Programme (2010–2013).
- Foresight IDCC (International Dimensions of Climate Change) project, funded by the UK Government (Government Office for Science) (2010–2011).
- ADAPTCost (Analysis of the Economic Costs of Climate Change Adaptation in Africa), funded by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP, now named UN Environment) and UK Government’s Department for International Development (DfID) (2009–2010)
- EACC (Economics of the Adaptation to Climate Change) project, funded by the World Bank (2008–2010).