Nikolaos V. Boulgouris is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) with the Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering of Brunel University London. From 2004 to 2010 he was an academic member of staff with King's College London, and before that he was a researcher with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Toronto, Canada. He has published more than 100 papers in international journals and conferences (Google scholar search) and he has participated in numerous national and international research consortia. Dr. Boulgouris currently serves as Senior Area Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. In 2018 he served as Technical Program Chair for the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP). In the past he served as Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, from which he received the 2017 Best Associate Editor Award, and also as Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, and the IEEE Signal Processing Letters. He was co-editor of the book Biometrics: Theory, Methods, and Applications, which was published by Wiley - IEEE Press, and guest co-editor for two journal special issues. He is an elected member of the IEEE Multimedia Signal Processing Technical Committee (MMSP - TC). From 2014 to 2019, he served as an elected member of the IEEE Image, Video, and Multidimensional Signal Processing Technical Committee (IVMSP - TC). Dr. Boulgouris is a Senior Member of the IEEE and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Senior Area Editor, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2016 - present.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Jan 2016 - Dec 2019.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2015 - 2016.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2010 - 2014.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 2007- 2010.
- Book Editor, Biometrics: Theory, Methods, and Applications, Wiley - IEEE, 2009.
- Guest Editor, EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing 2009.
- Guest Editor, EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing 2008.
- Technical Programme Chair, IEEE International Conference of Image Processing, 2018.
- Elected member, IEEE MMSP Technical Committee (MMSP - TC), Jan 2020 - present.
- Elected member, IEEE IVMSP Technical Committee (IVMSP - TC), Jan 2014 - Dec 2019.
- External examiner for UG courses, Imperial College London, UG courses (2019-present).
- Member, Full College, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
- Evaluator for the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), National Research Foundation of Singapore (NRF), The Leverhulme Trust, Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC), Hellenic Quality Assurance Agency (HQAA),Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek - Vlaanderen (FWO).
- Awards Committee member, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019.
- Area Chair, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 2011, 2014-2017, 2019, 2020.
- Area Chair, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020.
- Member, IEEE TAB Committee on Biometrics, 2007-2009.
- Panel member, Associate Editor Orientation Session, ICASSP 2009.
- Examiner in more than 30 PhD examinations in the UK and abroad.Serves regularly as programme committee member for several major conferences.
- Member of the organizing committee for various conferences: IEEE IVMSP 2021 (Keynote Chair), IEEE ICASSP 2021 (Publications Chair), IEEE ICME 2020 (Panels Chair), IEEE ICIP 2018 (Technical Program Chair), IEEE MMSP 2017 (Keyonote Chair), IEEE VCIP 2015 (Publicity Chair), DSP 2013 (Special Sessions chair), DSP 2009 (Publicity Chair).
Newest selected publications
Boulgouris, NV. and Huang, X. (2013) 'Gait recognition using HMMs and dual discriminative observations for sub-dynamics analysis'. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 22 (9). pp. 3636 - 3647. ISSN: 1057-7149 Open Access Link
Hu, J. and Boulgouris, NV. (2011) 'Fast human activity recognition based on structure and motion'. Pattern Recognition Letters, 32 (14). pp. 1814 - 1821. ISSN: 0167-8655 Open Access Link
Huang, X. and Boulgouris, N. (2010) 'Gait recognition using linear discriminant analysis with artificial walking conditions'.2010 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2010). Hong Kong. 26 - 29 September. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. pp. 2461 - 2464. ISSN: 1522-4880
Huang, X. and Boulgouris, N. (2010) 'Gait recognition for random walking patterns and variable body postures'.2010 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing. Dallas, Texas, USA. 14 - 19 March. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. pp. 1726 - 1729. ISSN: 1520-6149
Huang, X. and Boulgouris, NV. (2009) 'Unobtrusive biometric identification based on gait', in Boulgouris, NV., Plataniotis, KN. and Micheli-Tzanakou, E. (eds.) Biometrics: Theory, methods, and applications. Wiley-IEEE Press. pp. 539 - 558. ISBN 10: 0470247827. ISBN 13: 9780470247822.