Nikolaos V. Boulgouris is a Senior Lecturer with the Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering of Brunel University London. He joined Brunel in September 2010. Between December 2004 and August 2010 he served as a Lecturer and a Senior Lecturer at King's College London, U.K. Prior to that, he was a Post-Doctoral Fellow with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Toronto, Canada. Dr Boulgouris has published more than 90 papers in international journals and conferences and his papers have been cited widely by other researchers who work in the same area of research (Google scholar search). He was Principal Investigator for the UK group in the EC-funded Project ACTIBIO and also the PI or Co-I for a number of PhD projects funded by TWI. He is an elected member of the IEEE IVMSP Technical Committee (IVMSP - TC). He is a Senior Area Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing and an Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology. He also served as Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing and the IEEE Signal Processing Letters. He was co-editor of the book Biometrics: Theory, Methods, and Applications, which was published by Wiley - IEEE Press, and guest co-editor for two journal special issues on Biometrics. Dr. Boulgouris is a Senior Member of the IEEE and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Senior Area Editor, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2016 - present.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 2016 - present.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2015 - 2016.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2010 - 2014.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 2007- 2010.
- Book Editor, Biometrics: Theory, Methods, and Applications, Wiley - IEEE, 2009.
- Guest Editor, EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing 2009.
- Guest Editor, EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing 2008.
- Technical Programme Co-chair, IEEE International Conference of Image Processing, 2018.
- Elected member, IEEE IVMSP Technical Committee (IVMSP - TC), 2014 - 2016.
- Area Chair, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 2015.
- Awards Committee member, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2014.
- Area Chair, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 2014.
- Chair of Special Sessions (member of the organizing committee), DSP 2013.
- Area Chair, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 2011.
- Area chair, European Signal Processing Conference, EUSIPCO 2011.
- Panel member, Associate Editor Orientation Session, ICASSP 2009.
- Publicity Chair (member of the organizing committee), DSP 2009.
- Area Chair, European Signal Processing Conference, EUSIPCO 2008.
- Evaluator for the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC),Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), Hellenic Quality Assurance Agency (HQAA),Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek - Vlaanderen (FWO).
- Examiner in more than 20 PhD examinations in the UK and abroad.Serves regularly as programme committee member for several major conferences.
Newest selected publications
Boulgouris, NV. and Huang, X. (2013) 'Gait recognition using HMMs and dual discriminative observations for sub-dynamics analysis'. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 22 (9). pp. 3636 - 3647. ISSN: 1057-7149 Open Access Link
Hu, J. and Boulgouris, NV. (2011) 'Fast human activity recognition based on structure and motion'. Pattern Recognition Letters, 32 (14). pp. 1814 - 1821. ISSN: 0167-8655 Open Access Link
Huang, X. and Boulgouris, N. (2010) 'Gait recognition using linear discriminant analysis with artificial walking conditions'.2010 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2010). Hong Kong. 26 - 29 September Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. pp. 2461 - 2464. ISSN: 1522-4880
Huang, X. and Boulgouris, N. (2010) 'Gait recognition for random walking patterns and variable body postures'.2010 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing. Dallas, Texas, USA. 14 - 19 March Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. pp. 1726 - 1729. ISSN: 1520-6149
Huang, X. and Boulgouris, NV. (2009) 'Unobtrusive biometric identification based on gait', in Boulgouris, NV., Plataniotis, KN. and Micheli-Tzanakou, E. (eds.) Biometrics: Theory, methods, and applications. Wiley-IEEE Press. pp. 539 - 558. ISBN 10: 0470247827. ISBN 13: 9780470247822.