Freshers' tips you may and may not not know
Posted: May 01 2019
Keturah, Biomedical Sciences
1. Catching a case of Freshers’ flu is so real – register at the on campus Medical Centre.
2. Budgeting smart is key – consider laundry, food, travel, nights out, books.
3. Student finance is primarily for paying rent not splashing
4. Beware of credit cards, interest rates and fancy deals – stick to debit
6. Student over draft – if you don’t need it, avoid it. Look for grants you may be eligible for.
7. Food – shop smart, minimise takeaways, whip up last minute meals with reduction items
8. Jobs – sign up straight away with the Job Shop and go to the job fairs the uni hosts.
Do not hesitate to book a meeting at the Professional Development Centre, start thinking about placements, CVs and internships early.
9. Attendance to lectures, labs and suggested sessions can help with learning skills like avoiding plagiarism, referencing and networking for future placements.
10. Tidy, organised room = tidy, organised mind.
11. Reading ahead and making concise notes is key so you don’t cram and stress when it’s all too late.