Exit Menu


Registration is the process of formally becoming a Brunel student, and it takes place in two parts. The first part involves completing an online Registration task and you should do this from home as soon as possible through eVision, Brunel’s online student portal.

Download your guide to online registration

If you have further questions about the registration process, please visit our FAQ page.

Brunel University requires all students registering for our courses to provide their passport at registration. This serves a dual purpose: to verify your identity before we admit you to the course, and an immigration check to ensure we are meeting our UKVI compliance regulations and not admitting anyone to the university who does not have the appropriate immigration status to study in the UK.

If you do not currently have a passport you must apply for one before you register as a student at Brunel. Please allow enough time to have your passport application processed.

If you cannot obtain a passport in time, please contact the Admissions Office on + 44 1895 265265 to discuss what alternative forms of identification we might be able to accept.

International students

To meet UKVI regulations we need to keep a copy of your passport on file. If you would like to speed up the Registration process by electronically sending us a copy to attach to your file now, please do. 

Please note that even if you have uploaded a copy, you will still need to bring the original passport with you to Register.

I need to send my passport to Student Finance / the Home Office / somewhere else - what should I do?

If you need to send your passport somewhere and it cannot wait until after Registration, you should ensure you get at least one certified copy of the passport before you send it. The copies should be certified by someone in authority such as a solicitor, notary, doctor or bank manager. Some UK post offices also offer this service.

 To be able to register as an international student, you must present one of the following documents:

1) A valid Tier 4 (General) student visa which covers the whole duration of the course and which shows Brunel University London's Sponsor Licence Number (SLN) and which was issued for the course you are registering on.

The visa may be a paper vignette in your passport called Entry Clearance or a plastic card called a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). You will receive a BRP if you make your Tier 4 application in the UK or if your visa is issued to cover a course that is more than six months long (please see below). 

From March 2015, if you have made your Tier 4 (General) student visa application from outside of the UK, you may no longer receive your full visa before leaving for the UK.

Instead, you will be given a 30 day temporary entry clearance vignette, which will be stamped in your passport. You will then need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from a designated Post Office after you arrive in the UK. UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will provide you with instructions of how to do this. You must collect the BRP as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK. You will need to present this to us in order to enrol as you will not be allowed to enrol using just the temporary entry clearance vignette.

If you have recently made a Tier 4 application in the UK, and are still awaiting a decision, we will accept one of the following as evidence:

2) An original letter from UKVI which proves they have received your application for a visa to study with us.

3) An original letter from UKVI which invites you to attend a Biometrics appointment, as part of your application for a Tier 4 visa to study with us.

4) An original letter from the UKVI which confirms you have attended a successful Premium (in-person) Appointment, for a visa to study with us. The letter will also state that your Biometrics Residence Permit (which is the new visa) has been ordered and will be sent to you.

5) If you have recently submitted an online Tier 4 application but have not yet had confirmation from UKVI that your supporting documents have been received, you must bring your printed application cover sheet and a postal receipt to confirm you have posted the supporting documents.

Please be aware that if you present any of the documents described in options two – five above, you will be registering at your own risk. 

Should the visa application subsequently be refused, you may have to be de-registered and may lose funds already paid to the University. We will ask you to sign a disclaimer which confirms you accept this risk. Once you receive your new visa, or other UKVI decision, you must show it to the us as soon as possible.

Enrolling with another type of visa

It may be possible to enrol as an international student with another type of visa other than Tier 4 (General). Please refer to the information provided on the international pages of our website.

If you have a different visa type, or if you are unsure whether your visa or UKVI documents will be acceptable, please email us at admissions.immigration@brunel.ac.uk as soon as possible, so that we can advise you. Please don’t wait until Registration, as it may then be too late to help you if there is a problem.

It is our policy that we do not accept the following for registration:

  • A Tier 4 (General) student visa which does not cover the whole duration of the course you are registering for.
  • A Tier 4 (General) student visa with the Sponsor Licence Number of another institution.
  • A General or Standard Visitor visa – this visa type does not permit study.
  • A Student Visitor or Short-term Study visa (except for an English language only course, English@Brunel), which does not lead to a Brunel main course enrolment.