Dr Qingping Yang
Tower A 211
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: +44 (0)1895 265854
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- College of Engineering, Design and Physical Sciences
Dr QingPing Yang is currently the Group Leader for Brunel Quality Engineering and Smart Technology (QUEST) Research Group and Robotics and Automation Research Group.
Dr Yang joined the Brunel Centre for Manufacturing Metrology (BCMM) in 1988 with a visiting scholarship awarded by the AVIC, after his graduation in Instrumentation and Measurement Technology from Chengdu Aeronautical Polytechnic in 1983 and subsequent 4 years’ research experiences at an Aircraft Structure Research Institute (AVIC, Xi’an) and admission to an MSc Programme in Robot Control and Intelligent Control at Northwestern Polytechnical University. In 1989, he was awarded an ORS Award and a PhD Studentship from British Technology Group to develop a patented smart 3D high precision probe system for CMMs, and he received his PhD degree in October 1992.
Since then he has been working as a Research Fellow, Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader (Associate Professor) at Brunel University London. He has actively participated in 15 (11 as Principal Investigator) research projects funded by the UK government, EU and industrial companies, with a total funding of about £2.5 million as Principal Investigator and £888K as Co-Investigator. Through more than 30 years dedicated research, he has developed a unique and coherent research field broadly integrating three research areas of sensor/measurement systems, quality engineering and smart technologies (including AI and robotics) with rigorous theoretical foundation, addressing the core science and technology underpinning these areas. He has published more than 110 journal/conference papers, 5 book chapters and 3 patents (one patent successfully assigned for commercial exploitation in 2004) in these areas. He has supervised (as the 1st supervisor) 20 PhD and 3 MPhil students with successful completion as well as 9 visiting academic staff / PhD students, and he is currently supervising one postdoctoral Research Fellow and 8 PhD students.
Dr Yang has received numerous prizes and awards for outstanding academic and work performance in the past (including three performance bonuses in Brunel University). He has been a member of IEEE and IET. He was profiled in the 15th edition of Marquis Who’s Who in the World (1998) and the 5th edition of Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering (2000).
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Metrology and Quality Engineering (IJMQE).
- Co-Chair of Organizing Committee, International Congress on Measurement, Quality and Data Science (MQDS) 2023, June 5-7, 2023, Bordeaux, France.
- Program Chair, Organising Committee Co-Chair and Keynote Speaker for the 1st International Workshop on Innovative Quality Engineering and Smart Technology in Chengdu in Jan 2018.
- Member of the Organising Committee, 6th International Conference on Nanomanufacturing (2018).
- Member of Organisation Committee, 2nd EAI International Conference on Smart Grid Inspired Future Technologies (2017).
- Chairman of the Advisory Committee, the 2015 International Conference on Control Engineering and Electronics Engineering.
- Member of the Organising Committee, International LAMDAMAP Conference (2005).
- Guest Editor of Measurement & Control Journal, 2001.
- Acted as external PhD examiners at University of West England (twice) and Leeds Metropolitan University, 2012-2014.
- Invited to give a seminar on Quality Management at Imperial College in 2010.
- Invited Reviewers for a number of journals, including:
- IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement; Measurement; International Journal of Metrology and Quality Engineering; Journal of Engineering Manufacture - Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part B; International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology.