Brunel Innovation Centre’s (BIC) expertise encompasses the synergic combination of non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques with artificial intelligence (AI) to create optimal NDT systems for commercial ready products. The NDT systems are tailored to inspect components at different stages for their life cycle. The use of AI for automated detection of defects location, severity and size allows more consistent, faster and cheaper NDT. This paves the way for the implementation of in-line inspection in manufacturing processes as well as the adoption of robotic inspection in harsh, dangerous and difficult access environments. BIC’s target industry sectors include energy, renewables, civil, healthcare and manufacturing. BIC has also been at the forefront of providing NDT solutions for Aerospace, Marine and the Rail in Transport industry.
BIC’s capabilities in this field include;
- NDT inspection methods including, but not limited to; Ultrasonic Testing (UT), Phased Array Ultrasonic Testing (PAUT), X-ray, laser, Ultrasonic guided wave.
- High accuracy non-contact scanning using laser vibrometers.
- Analytical and computational models to predict bespoke NDT sensor performance.
- Wireless communication and Energy harvesting.
- AI and Machine learning for increased productivity, reduced human error and product life cycle estimation.
Development of an innovative remote sensing system for detection of corrosion and defects in steel piles, in particular, those sited in marine environments. Each PileSense system will reduce the overall cost of steel-pile inspection by £172k/km. This solution also overcomes limitations in state-of-the-art inspection and monitoring systems, which are rudimentary and labour intensive.
Development of an intelligent inspection system for power line cable maintenance. Intel-Line benefited the power transmission industry by reducing the operation and maintenance costs by €150milion/yr. The developed system delivers enhanced quality inspection, whilst improving the safety measures, compared to conventional inspection techniques.