The Additive Manufacturing and 4D Printing Research Group welcomes new members. We are a multi-disciplinary team and look forward to working with you on projects and for academic exchanges. We seek to produce high quality research, being maximally productive and to continually engage with the outside world. We do this by being involved in National and European projects, Knowledge Transfer programmes, actively participating in Standardisation activities, presenting at conferences and through exhibitions.
Google Scholar Profile
Dr Eujin Pei leads the Additive Manufacturing and 4D Printing Research Group. He is the Director for Postgraduate Research, and Programme Director for the BSc Product Design Engineering course. He chairs the British Standards Institute AMT/8 Committee for Additive Manufacturing. He is the Convenor for the International Organisation for Standardisation ISO/TC261/WG4 that develops global Standards for Additive Manufacturing Data and Design; and Convenor for ISO/TC261/JG67 for Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing. He is the Editor-in-Chief for the Progress in Additive Manufacturing Journal (SpringerNature), Associate Editor for Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing (SpringerNature) and Associate Editor for Assembly Automation Journal (Emerald). He is an Editorial Board Member for Rapid Prototyping Journal (Emerald), and for the International Journal of Rapid Manufacturing (Inderscience). In 2019, he published a book titled "Additive Manufacturing - Developments in Training and Education - Best Practices, Challenges and Opportunities” (ISBN: 978-3-319-76083-4) with SpringerNature. Eujin is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and a Chartered Technological Product Designer (CTPD). In 2020, Eujin was appointed as a Co-Opted Council Member of the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED). He is a Full Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College as the UK's National Agency that assesses proposals for funding Research in Engineering and Physical Sciences, Member of the EPSRC Engineering Prioritisation Panel, Member of the EPSRC Engineering Fellowship Panel, and Member of the EPSRC Early Career Forum in Manufacturing Research that involves participating in the agency's strategic advisory activities. As a testament of his supervision excellence, Eujin was recognised as the PhD Research Supervisor of the Year in 2019.
- Dr Federico Colecchia - Lecturer in electronics, computer programming, and embedded systems at Brunel Design with a research expertise and interests covering AI, machine learning, embedded electronics, human-computer interaction, design, and medical physics. Research funded by the UK Research Councils, the EU (H2020) and private investors such as QinetiQ, and collaborating institutions including UCL Hospitals, University of Wollongong, Paul Scherrer Institute, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Lund University, TU Dresden, and the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.
- Dr Seyed Ghaffar - Chartered Civil Engineer (CEng, MICE), Member of the Institute of Concrete Technology (MICT), and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). He has collaborations with SMEs and enterprises in the field of construction materials, 3D printing technology, and the Construction Innovation Hub. Leads the Additive Manufacturing Technology in Construction (AMTC) research group (2 PDRAs, 3 PhDs, 5 Meng researchers) since 2017, working on the implementation of 3D printing technology by addressing technical challenges such as material formulation, and mechanical proficiency of printed objects. Associate Editor for the Journal of Results in Engineering (Elsevier) and Structures and Buildings (ICE Publishing). Principal and co-investigator of more than £6 million research grants from national (EPSRC and British Council) and EU funding bodies (H2020 and ERDF).
- Dr Israt Kabir (Post Doc) - Functionally Graded Additive Manufacturing
- Dr Adeayo Sotayo (Post Doc) - Finite Element Analysis & Composites
- Ezrin Faten Azhar (Doctoral Researcher) - Communication & Design for 4D Printing
- Seokwoo Nam (Doctoral Researcher) - Computer-Aided-Design & Simulation for 4D Printing
- Giselle Hsiang Loh (Doctoral Researcher) - Intelligent Textile Application for 4D Printing
- James Burchill (Doctoral Researcher) - Material Properties, Tactile Interfaces
- Edvard Schroeder (Doctoral Researcher, 2nd supervisor) - Wind Turbine Generators
- Zakaria Najmi (Doctoral Researcher, 2nd supervisor) - Artificial Intelligence
- Daniela Ribeiro (UFABC) - Bio-engineering Applications for 4D Printing
- Dr Rubén Paz Hernández (ULPGC) - Computer-Aided-Design & Simulation for 4D Printing
Supervised Researchers and Extended Topics / Postdocs / Alumni
- Dr Malte Ressin (Post Doc) - Computer-Aided-Design & Data Transfer
- Peter Booth - Bio-engineering Applications for 4D Printing
- Insik Chung - User Interface & Simulation for 4D Printing
- Alex Francis - Security Applications for 4D Printing
- Jinghua Li - Aerospace Applications for 4D Printing
- Dr Lulu Yin (Doctoral Researcher) - Human Factors
- Dr Thomas Stead (Doctoral Researcher) - Medical Applications
- Dr Aine Petrulaityte (Doctoral Researcher, 2nd Supervisor) - Sustainable Design
- Dr Milad Areir (Doctoral Researcher, 2nd Supervisor) - 3D Printed Capacitors
- Dr Jerry Tagang (Doctoral Researcher, 2nd Supervisor) - Medical Applications
- Muhammad Kazimi bin Muhamad (2nd Supervisor): Universiti Teknikal Melaka, Malaysia
- Dr Joseph Nsengimana (Doctoral Researcher, 2nd Supervisor): Central University of Technology, South Africa