These are our five priorities towards anti-racism at Brunel:
- we must support everyone in our community to have the same level of awareness and understanding about what constitutes racism and how to prevent and challenge it where it does occur.
- we must close the Awarding Gap so that all students have an equal chance of achieving their best academic outcomes.
- we must close the ethnicity pay gap.
- we must make our senior leadership more diverse.
- we must ensure that there is trust in our complaints processes so that where members of the community experience racism they feel confident in reporting this through our formal proceses for students and staff.
Colleagues are working on a variety of projects across Brunel to meet these priorities, these include:
- Our ED&I toolkit for academics - introduced a year ago across the university, colleagues can access training on how to use this here.
- Anti-racism training - so far this has included training for senior leadership, action research training for academics and new anti-racism workshops for academics as part of broader Access and Participation work to reduce the awarding gap at Brunel. Find out more here. Training for colleagues working in other areas is planned.
- New reporting process - colleagues have been asked for their views on developing a more robust and user-friendly complaints process which works for our Brunel community. Find out more here.
If you would like to join the group or just get involved in an area of our work email EDI@brunel.ac.uk.