Skip to main content

Moving images

Off-air recording

Brunel holds a Licence from the Educational Recording Agency (ERA) which enables staff to record audio-visual broadcast material and to use online and on-demand broadcasts for non-commercial educational purposes.

A number of changes have been introduced in 2014, and ERA has published an information leaflet on the new licence terms for guidance.

The University subscribes to Box of Broadcasts (BoB), a Learning on Screen service which works alongside our ERA Licence and allows staff and students to record and access broadcasts, even after they have aired, under the licence terms.

Media Services, which administers the ERA licence and BoB, provides more information on IntraBrunel, the campus intranet. See Recording broadcast material (internal only).

What is covered?

The ERA Licence covers:

  • all scheduled free-to-air radio and television broadcasts
  • on-demand content from BBC iPlayer, 4 on Demand, ITV Player, Demand 5 and Clic (S4C) subject to the service provider's terms and conditions
  • podcasts within ERA licensed on-demand services.

What isn't covered?

The ERA licence does not cover:

  • pre-recorded material which has been purchased or hired
  • some pay TV services - check the terms and conditions of the service
  • YouTube content
  • use of ERA licensed content for entertainment purposes including use by student societies 
  • use of ERA licensed content in corporate materials 
  • use of ERA content to promote the University and its facilities
  • sale or hire of recorded materials
  • supply of recordings to staff or students outside the UK.

Managing and accessing copies made under the licence

Recordings and copies of recordings may be made and stored in both analogue and digital form. All recordings under the Licence must be clearly labelled with the date of the recording, the title of the programme, the name of the broadcaster, and the statement "This recording was done under the terms of the ERA Licence". Copies used in presentations must also be labelled.

Clips may be used, however recordings may not be adapted or subtitled except where permitted under exceptions to copyright law, such as under disability provisions in copyright legislation. 

Recordings can be accessed on and off campus via a secure network which includes IntraBrunel, the campus intranet and Blackboard Learn, the virtual learning environment (VLE) only where such copies will not be accessed or viewed outside the UK mainland. ERA does not have a mandate from rights owners to include international broadcast / viewing rights in the Licence.  

Non-ERA licensed content

Open University (OU) broadcasts: OU programmes are currently covered by a separate licence, which involves an annual audit and fees to the OU. Negotiations are taking place to include OU content in the ERA repertoire in the future. Media Services also administers this licence on behalf of the University. Recordings may be added to the Library collection for students to borrow or view. Please notify Media Services where recordings are no longer required for teaching, so that the University is not charged.

Pre-recorded films: For content outside the ERA repertoire, such as some pre-recorded film and some pay TV services, and where no other licensing scheme is available, recordings can be made for educational purposes subject to the conditions in section 35 (1) of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988.

Help and further guidance

For further guidance, contact the Copyright Officer or for ERA licence queries, Media Services. The University is a member of the British Universities' Film and Video Council (BUFVC) which may also be able to advise on copyright issues.