We expect all applicants to have thoroughly researched the profession prior to applying for the physiotherapy programme. This research requires review of the CSP website and other relevant web sites/literature and an observational clinical experience is advised. Applicants will be short listed from their UCAS forms on the basis of their academic profile and their insight into the profession. Short listed applicants will be required to attend a Selection Day.
These are the requirements which we would normally expect from applicants under the age of 21 at the proposed point of entry onto the programme. For all standard entry applicants, we normally expect 7 GCSEs or equivalent at grade B or grade 5 or above including two science subjects, GCSE English Language and Maths is also required at grade C or grade 4 or above.
- GCE A-level AAB, including Biology, Human Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Maths. General Studies and Critical Thinking are not accepted.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma 33 points, with a 5 in Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Maths at higher level. GCSE English equivalent SL 5 or HL 4 and Mathematics SL 4 or HL 4.
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma DDD in Applied Science, Health and Social Care, or Sport and Exercise Science with an A-level grade B in Biology or Human Biology.
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma DD in Applied Science, Health and Social Care or Sport and Exercise Science, with two A-levels at grades AB including Biology/Human Biology.
- BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma D in Applied Science, Health and Social Care or Sport and Exercise Science, with two A-levels at grades AB, including Biology/Human Biology.
Non-standard entrants / mature students:
These are the requirements which we would normally expect from applicants over the age of 21 at the proposed point of entry onto the programme.
Non-standard entrants and mature students (over the age of 21 years) are welcome and considered on an individual basis. However applicants are normally required to provide evidence of formal academic study of Human Biology/Biology to A-level standard or equivalent within the four years prior to the start of the programme. For all non-standard entry applicants a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade B or grade 5 or above are required. GCSE English Language and Maths at grade C or grade 4 or above are also required. A selection of possible entry level academic qualifications is given below:
- GCSE All applicants must have GCSEs in English Language and Maths – equivalents are not normally accepted.
- GCE A-levels At least Grade B in A-level Biology or Human Biology ideally taken within the last four years plus a second A-level at grade B.
- Obtain a minimum of 136 UCAS tariff points in the Access to HE Diploma in Health Science, Health Professions, Health and Social Care, Health Studies, Medicine, Medical Science, Physiotherapy, Science or Science in Health Profession with 45 credits at Level 3. In addition all Access students must be able to offer us a B grade at A-Level Human Biology or Biology.
Advice for mature students:
In order to present us with enough detail on which to base a decision we ask that you:
Document your full academic history on the UCAS form and not just give us your most recent qualifications(s).
Access students please list only the modules you intend to study, not all the ones available for study. Remember that we require GCSEs in English Language and Maths – we do not accept equivalents offered as part of an Access diploma.
Present documentary proof of previous academic achievements at the point of course enrolment.
Health and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
In addition to meeting our entry criteria and a satisfactory selection day outcome, applicants under offer must demonstrate satisfactory health declaration and complete a satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application, previously known as a (CRB) check.
For further guidance please Contact Admissions.