Skip to main content

ID Documents for students living in the UK

As a part of your DBS application your identity needs to be confirmed. In order to do this you need to provide three original identity documents  (photocopies are not accepted) to the Post Office. 

What documents do you need to provide?

You must provide 3 documents: one document from Group 1 and two further documents from Group 1, 2a or 2b. One document must confirm your current address.

Group 1 - Primary Trusted Identity Documents

  • A current valid passport (any nationality)
  • Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
  • A current UK (full or provisional) photo card driving licence (UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands/other EU country, including Ireland)
  • An original British Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) - issued within 12 months of the date of birth
  • Adoption Certificate (UK and Channel Islands)

Group 2A - Trusted Government/State Issued Documents

  • Birth certificate (UK and Channel Islands) issued more than 12 months after birth
  • Marriage / Civil partnership certificate (UK)
  • A current paper version driving licence (UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands and EU (full or provisional)
  • A current photo card driving licence - All other countries (full or provisional), excluding UK/Isle of Man/Channel Islands/and EU (counterpart does not need to be provided)
  • Firearms licence (UK)
  • HM Forces ID card (UK)

Group 2B - Financial/Social History Documents

The following documents must be less than 3 months old:

  • Credit Card Statement (UK or EEA) (Online statements not acceptable)
  • Bank / Building Society Statement (UK and Channel Islands or EEA) (Online bank statements are not acceptable)
  • Utility Bill / Statement: electricity / gas / water / telephone (NOT mobile telephone) (we are unable to accept a Brunel University London tenancy agreement as a valid proof of UK address)
  • Benefits Statement e.g. Child Allowance, pension
  • A document from Central / Local Government / Government Agency / Local Authority giving entitlement (UK and Channel Islands) e.g. from the Department of Work & Pensions, the Employment Service, Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security. This includes National Insurance Number issue letter.
  • Bank / Building Society Account Opening Confirmation Letter (UK)

The following documents must have been issued within the past 12 months:

  • Mortgage Statement (UK)
  • Financial Statement e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK)
  • P45 / P60 statement (UK)
  • Council Tax Statement (UK)
  • Work Permit / VISA (UK), (UK Residence Permit)

The following documents must still be valid:

  • EU National ID card
  • Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK)


If you are unable to provide sufficient documentation from the list, please contact the Admissions Office on 01895 265265 or email

Updated 15 November 2021.