The Brunel Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences (Physical Education, Coaching and Social Issues) BSc is for students who are interested in working in physical education or youth sport, developing sport in communities, helping individuals fulfil their potential in sport and health, as well as those seeking to gain a strong understanding and application of sports coaching principles and practices.
You'll explore the sociological, political, pedagogical and psychological factors that influence participation in physical education and sport, and how these relate to sports performance, physical activity, health and wellbeing. You'll learn how to plan, deliver, manage and evaluate high-quality activities and events aimed at encouraging and enabling people to get involved in sport and physical activity, from grassroots to elite level.
You’ll also explore social issues in physical education such as gender, race and religion and inclusive practice. In addition, you'll learn historical and philosophical aspects related to PE.
Your studies will be supported by some of the best teaching and sports facilities in the UK that include our:
- state-of-the-art physiology, biomechanics and psychology laboratories
- world-class indoor athletics centre
- international-standard 400m six-lane athletics track with full field event facilities
- large indoor netball hall
- multi-use sports centre equipped with squash, basketball and netball courts, as well as a superb climbing wall.
- members-only fitness suite featuring treadmills, cycles and rowing machines
- a weight-training area with free and fixed weights
- grass and third-generation (3G) all-weather pitches
- outdoor tennis courts
You'll also have the opportunity to carry out a placement as part of your degree. This will give you the type of experience that will enable you to create a standout CV. Our Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences (Physical Education, Coaching and Social Issues) BSc offers two placement options: you can choose to carry out two placements during the summer vacations within the three year degree, or a one year placement between years two and three, as part of a four year degree.
Brunel is the top-ranked university in London for Sports Science (Complete University Guide 2022)